Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's your favorite King size pattern? >

What's your favorite King size pattern?

What's your favorite King size pattern?

Old 05-01-2013, 09:56 AM

Thank you Annie. You speak truth. I was hoping to find an easy large pattern. I was thinking maybe a Queen with extra borders, as you suggested. Still thinking in Florida......
Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
any pattern she (or you) likes can easily be converted to a king size--------even a simply as adding more borders to a pattern you already have.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:11 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Here are some ideas.

Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails 4-inch-squares.jpg   signature-block.jpg   jans-triple-rail-pattern.jpg   star-snowballed-floating.jpg  
Old 05-01-2013, 11:13 AM

How about the double slice layer cake by Missouri Star or Yellow Brick Road? Both go together quite quickly and would look great with all those colors.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:12 PM

Any pattern can be made in King size. You can either enlarge the blocks or increase the number of blocks.

My personal favorites would be a large medallion in the center with rows of smaller blocks around it. I've made a large block something like a carpenter's wheel and filled it with a large applique meaningful to the recipient. I've made a lone star. A mariner's compass would be nice.

You'll want the center block to be somewhere between 40 and 60" wide. This way it will fit nicely on a queen sized bed if they eventually downsize. And it will still look good on a king sized bed.

Other possibilities include bargellos and similar types of quilts including around the world.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:15 PM

My king size that I have on my bed is a double Irish Chain with a Seminole border from Quilt in a Day "Irish chain". But you can make almost any pattern into the size you need with or without borders. Lets us see when you get it done. Oh yeah and good luck
Old 05-01-2013, 02:54 PM

What is his prognosis and life expectancy? Maybe, now, you could make a lap quilt for him, then later make a bed quilt for them.

As you realize, this will take a lot of time due to the size. How will it be quilted? Does your friend need you in other ways?

I'd recomment the BQ pattern due to the size of pieces. It's pretty fast.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:48 PM
Power Poster

make one you can quilt in at least two sections and then sew together. it won't be so overwhelming under your machine. Good luck!!
Old 05-01-2013, 04:31 PM

I'm finishing a trip around the world--100 x 100 with 2 inch squares using the strip (sew into tubes and unsew to get effect) for my daughter. You could make the strips wider to make it go faster. The best part is that it looks hard and I used 14 different materials because of the colors she wanted in it.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:33 PM

I just finished a king size quilt Eleanor Burns Lover's knot. It was easy and fun and uses only 4 fabrics. Very easy. I also made a Lover's knot wall quilt a few years ago. I love it.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:01 AM

My 'avatar' is a king size log cabin.