Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What's your favorite King size pattern?

What's your favorite King size pattern?

My best friend throughout life requested a King size quilt last night. (Oy vey) I don't mind at all, because I love her with all my heart. We've been "together" since 6th grade. Her husband was just diagnosed with liver cancer. I want to hurry, but "hurry" and "king" don't play well together. I'm also considering a large queen and just telling her to make it work. LOL What should I do? Any and all pattern suggestions will be considered.

I just made a King doing the D9P. Turned out really nice a went together pretty fast. Looks like a lot more work then it really is.

Banned
    I love the BQ pattern from Maple Island (http://www.mapleislandquilts.com/ima...rge/MIQ705.jpg) as it is really easy and it works great for fabrics that have large patterns. I made this one http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t214839.html that has large Safari prints and I think it came out great and went together very quickly!

Blog Entries
    If you are machine piecing, an Irish Chain would work. Sew the chain block, then the "blank" block, for as many as you need, then sew them all together. When I do an Irish Chain, I like to add something to the "blank" blocks (on a triple Irish Chain, I appliqued hearts onto the blank blocks; on a double IC, I had contrasting colors quilted in the blanks). If the recipient has special interests, you could highlight that interest in the "blank areas. If you're in a hurry, though, you don't need to do anything at all, and it will still look really nice

I have never made one. That could be fun. I have tons (and tons and tons) of 5 in squares. I could make big 9 patches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingle View Post
    I just made a King doing the D9P. Turned out really nice a went together pretty fast. Looks like a lot more work then it really is.

Your Safari quilt is so cool. I will have to remember this pattern. There are times when you don't want to lose a fabulous print by cutting it up too small. Seems like this would be a good pattern to have on hand. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Quote Originally Posted by racerh View Post
    I love the BQ pattern from Maple Island (http://www.mapleislandquilts.com/ima...rge/MIQ705.jpg) as it is really easy and it works great for fabrics that have large patterns. I made this one http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t214839.html that has large Safari prints and I think it came out great and went together very quickly!

Ya know, an Irish Chain crossed my mind last night. hmmmm I love them too. You can never go wrong with an Irish Chain.
    Quote Originally Posted by nanac View Post
    If you are machine piecing, an Irish Chain would work. Sew the chain block, then the "blank" block, for as many as you need, then sew them all together. When I do an Irish Chain, I like to add something to the "blank" blocks (on a triple Irish Chain, I appliqued hearts onto the blank blocks; on a double IC, I had contrasting colors quilted in the blanks). If the recipient has special interests, you could highlight that interest in the "blank areas. If you're in a hurry, though, you don't need to do anything at all, and it will still look really nice

Blog Entries
    How about this pattern it's quick http://www.keepsakequilting.com/productdetail/6193.htm or this one would be quick http://madanquilting.blogspot.ca/201...-tutorial.html or this one http://madanquilting.blogspot.ca/201...-tutorial.html it's kind a the same method but made with bigger blocks...I've made this one 3 times and just going to make it again for a wedding gift for June 1...yeppy i'm finally back, tax season is over and I'm dead dog tired but I survived the office....

Those are all really great and helpful pattern ideas. I guess I need to go upstairs to the sewing room, dig through my stash and see what all might beg to be sewn up. She requested Reds, Creams, BLUES and Browns.
    Quote Originally Posted by btiny36 View Post
    How about this pattern it's quick http://www.keepsakequilting.com/productdetail/6193.htm or this one would be quick http://madanquilting.blogspot.ca/201...-tutorial.html or this one http://madanquilting.blogspot.ca/201...-tutorial.html it's kind a the same method but made with bigger blocks...I've made this one 3 times and just going to make it again for a wedding gift for June 1...yeppy i'm finally back, tax season is over and I'm dead dog tired but I survived the office....

Quote Originally Posted by SweetWoodruffs View Post
    My best friend throughout life requested a King size quilt last night. (Oy vey) I don't mind at all, because I love her with all my heart. We've been "together" since 6th grade. Her husband was just diagnosed with liver cancer. I want to hurry, but "hurry" and "king" don't play well together. I'm also considering a large queen and just telling her to make it work. LOL What should I do? Any and all pattern suggestions will be considered.

any pattern she (or you) likes can easily be converted to a king size--------even a simply as adding more borders to a pattern you already have.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Thank you Annie. You speak truth. I was hoping to find an easy large pattern. I was thinking maybe a Queen with extra borders, as you suggested. Still thinking in Florida......
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
    any pattern she (or you) likes can easily be converted to a king size--------even a simply as adding more borders to a pattern you already have.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Here are some ideas.

Jan in VA
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

How about the double slice layer cake by Missouri Star or Yellow Brick Road? Both go together quite quickly and would look great with all those colors.
    Heather

Any pattern can be made in King size. You can either enlarge the blocks or increase the number of blocks.

My personal favorites would be a large medallion in the center with rows of smaller blocks around it. I've made a large block something like a carpenter's wheel and filled it with a large applique meaningful to the recipient. I've made a lone star. A mariner's compass would be nice.

You'll want the center block to be somewhere between 40 and 60" wide. This way it will fit nicely on a queen sized bed if they eventually downsize. And it will still look good on a king sized bed.

Other possibilities include bargellos and similar types of quilts including around the world.

Super Member frustratedquilter40's Avatar
    My king size that I have on my bed is a double Irish Chain with a Seminole border from Quilt in a Day "Irish chain". But you can make almost any pattern into the size you need with or without borders. Lets us see when you get it done. Oh yeah and good luck
    ​Christine

What is his prognosis and life expectancy? Maybe, now, you could make a lap quilt for him, then later make a bed quilt for them.

As you realize, this will take a lot of time due to the size. How will it be quilted? Does your friend need you in other ways?

I'd recomment the BQ pattern due to the size of pieces. It's pretty fast.

Blog Entries
    make one you can quilt in at least two sections and then sew together. it won't be so overwhelming under your machine. Good luck!!

Blog Entries
    I'm finishing a trip around the world--100 x 100 with 2 inch squares using the strip (sew into tubes and unsew to get effect) for my daughter. You could make the strips wider to make it go faster. The best part is that it looks hard and I used 14 different materials because of the colors she wanted in it.

I just finished a king size quilt Eleanor Burns Lover's knot. It was easy and fun and uses only 4 fabrics. Very easy. I also made a Lover's knot wall quilt a few years ago. I love it.

My 'avatar' is a king size log cabin.

Quote Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
    What is his prognosis and life expectancy? Maybe, now, you could make a lap quilt for him, then later make a bed quilt for them.

As you realize, this will take a lot of time due to the size. How will it be quilted? Does your friend need you in other ways?

I'd recomment the BQ pattern due to the size of pieces. It's pretty fast.
    Make a gigantic one block quilt and it will go together just as fast or faster than a baby quilt. The number of individual pieces (seams to sew) are what determine speed, not size.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E