Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's your favorite pattern for charity quilts... >

What's your favorite pattern for charity quilts...

What's your favorite pattern for charity quilts...

Old 05-02-2012, 12:34 PM

Here is some of my last scrap charity quilts. Very easy.
Attached Thumbnails dsc00066.jpg   dsc00071.jpg  
Old 05-02-2012, 02:39 PM

Thanks for all the great ideas. So many pretty quilts!
Old 05-02-2012, 03:27 PM

I will vote for Disappearing Nine Patch as well. I have also seen interesting ways of mixing D9P up by slicing the patches in different ways than the standard.

Wonky log cabins work as do absolutely wonky blocks. I did a tute on wonky coasters, just using them as little design exercises:
http://greenwich-8.blogspot.ca/2012/...r-studies.html

Made a little larger, these little wonky blocks would work well in a charity quilt...you could put a motif at the centre as well ie. different puppies, flowers, or birds from various fabrics etc.

Anyone got any inventive quilting approaches to the standard disappearing 9 patch layout??

Regards,
Janet
Old 05-02-2012, 03:34 PM

PokerDiva - I love both of your quilts, but are there instructions for the top one and/or the blocks that are not scrappy on the bottom? I think these are great and I have SO many 2 and 2.5 inch strips to use up.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:50 PM

I have more cut out for more quilts for the top two but I can't for the life of me find them. I just did those too. I am losing it. I will keep checking for you. The second one is Sunny Lanes from the Quilters casche. If you don't know where that is I can get you the link to that also.

Originally Posted by IAmCatOwned View Post
PokerDiva - I love both of your quilts, but are there instructions for the top one and/or the blocks that are not scrappy on the bottom? I think these are great and I have SO many 2 and 2.5 inch strips to use up.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:55 PM

IAmCatOwned. It was right in front of me. It came from American Patchwork & Quilting Magazine Feb 2011. The pattern is for a 66 1/2" square quilt but it is very easy to adjust sizes. If you do not have that magazine, pm me.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:18 PM

I'm with Plumtree-yellowbrick road or rail fence
Old 05-02-2012, 04:30 PM

I am making a tube quilt with 2 1/2" strips. I got the pattern off the internet, just put in tube quilt & it will come up.It isn't hard at all. Good luck rowena101
Old 05-02-2012, 04:38 PM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t184347.html these two quilts I made from scraps. one is just triangles made into pinwheels that interlock. the other is just strips.squares,rectangles and hst's sewn into blocks in same order, when blocks are then sewn into rows, they are rotated one quarter each time. Hope they give you some ideas.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:40 PM

I can't stop making the Potato Chip Quilt using my homemade jelly roll fabrics framing a square in the center. I like an 8 1/2" square framed by a 2 1/2" strip giving a 10" finished square. Goes fast an is so addictive. I am currently looking for examples of a version where you whack the 10" (or whatever size you make) into equal fourths and reassemble with interesting results. I posted about that a couple of days ago.
I went through my stash and purged this January using up anything that was cut into, too small to show up in my stash stacking, leftover from garment construction, or just not to my taste anymore. Then I set about chopping the purged stuff up into strips of various sizes a la Bonnie Hunter. I have thus far put together 63 tops for Project Linus and have still got a ways to go to use up what I chopped up. The tops went together fast because I had a "leaders and enders" Bonnie Hunter thing going with some of these fabrics as well. I have little piles everywhere even though much has been used up. I have never had so much fun piecing tops or been so productive with stuff I was trying to move out. I can't wait to get through this and start on the stuff I Like! LOL!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-30-2017 at 05:28 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS