Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What's Your Favorite Quilting Book?

Blog Entries
    I like the 5,500 quilt blocks book. It compiles all the different settings and styles into one bound book. It also gives the multiple names of the blocks. If I need block inspiration, I can always find one there.

Borders, Borders Borders is the other book I like. It gives ideas on how-to decide on a border. Then how-to measure for the pieced border to fit. Ideas for corners are also given.
    To make lots of quilts, is to have lots of scraps, and I do, and I do.
    BarbaraSue

Blog Entries
    I too love the Fons & Porters Quilters complete guide. The pattern for my avatar is on there.

Laps from Fats by Ellen Replogle or any other of her Laps from Fats books. Can't remember how many quilts i've made from them. They go together fast and look great when they are finished. I've been to several retreats and workshops with her and she's a wonderful person. Unfortunately, she is no longer designing quilts.

I would be VERY hard pressed to select only one out of my library. I tend to like books with lots of different patterns in them so if I had to whittle it down to two (because I can't have just one!)
    It would be Quilts! Quilts!! Quilts!!! and 101 Fabulous Rotary cut quilts.

Interestingly enough I received both of these books as gifts and I turn to to them more often than any other books.

I still like my others though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
    "Mastering Precision Piecing" by Sally Collins - check out the accompanying video as well.

I have very few "pattern" books, most of my books are about techniques - and Sally's books are at the TOP of my list. The above book I call my "primer" as it taught me SO much about what I was doing wrong
    Love it ---
    "Love and kindness are never wasted. They always make a difference. They bless the one who receives them, and they bless you, the giver." Barbara De Angelis

I love 501 Quilt Blocks by Better Homes and Gardens. I kept taking it out of the library and finally broke down and bought it.

Power Poster
    "The It's Okay if You Sit on My Quilt Book" by Mary Ellen Hopkins.

She has a very practical approach to quilt making.

Blog Entries
    any thing by eleanor burns.

I only have one log cabin quilt book that I bought at goodwill for 25 cents! It's a good one, I've seen it for sale on here. I just don't see the sense in buying em when you can get soooo many free patterns and tutes on the computer. I do buy magazines sometimes just because I like to look at em, but usually only if there's something in there that I know I'll make.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    It's OK if you sit on my quilt - because it has tons of blocks and they are all broken into their components. from 3-patch options to 16-patch options - it's a great selection.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My favorite quilt book is one I check out of the local library on occasion by Jinny Beyer on color theory(can't remember the name). I think I really learned a lot from that book and now always plan a "deep, dark" in the color scheme of my quilts. For patterns, I like the magazines--I take several (rotate when the subscription expires) and copy the quilts that "speak" to me when I first get the magazine--then pass it along to someone else.

Rotary Magic- has really incredible techniques and tips! By Nancy Johnson-Srebro.

I love all Carol Armstrong books and patterns, I have done a few but I just like to look at them.

You can't have just one quilt book! That is inhumane! lol

My favorites are Fons and Porter's Complete Book of Quilting and anything by Eleanor Burns or Judy Martin.

Norma

It depends on what "phase" I happen to be in. I went thru an Eleanor Burns phase, a M'liss Rae Hawley phase, a Thimbleberries phase, etc. Right now I'm in a pre-cuts phase & have been loving "3 Times the Charm", "Schnibbles" (both of them) & the pre-cuts books from Country Threads (can't remember the names right now). My suggestion? Go to your local library first & see what they have... try before you buy.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

My favorite book at any given time is usually the one I've just bought. Currently, it's Reasons for Quilts by Edyta Sitar.

Anything by Elenor Burns ... and the Harriet / Carrie Hargraves Quilters Academy series. I'm working my way through Freshmen year right now!
    Sharon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2