Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's your favorite quilting notion/tool? >

What's your favorite quilting notion/tool?

What's your favorite quilting notion/tool?

Old 01-11-2014, 03:51 AM

What an awesome idea! I would never have thought of using bobby pins for binding, but I am going to try it now.
I love my 8 1/2 x 24 1/2 and my 8 1/2 x 12 1/2 Creative Grids rulers the best. They give me more guide room to make sure I am cutting squarely. I also am in love with my GO and strip cutters. I just had to cut 250 2" squares and it was so easy and quick to do it with my GO. One pass to cut the strips and one pass to cut 120 2 x 2 squares. And they all sew together so perfectly.

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
I use bobby pins for binding. It works fine and is very cheap!

Last edited by juliea9967; 01-11-2014 at 04:01 AM.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:34 AM

I love the clover clips. I use them instead of pins while doing the hand work on bindings. No bleeding fingers from pin pokes. I keep a lint roller on my ironing board. Picks up all the little threads from un-sewing or the back of machine embroiderd pieces.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:49 AM

Several of my favorite tools are the June Tailor Shape Cut and my two spinning rotary cutting mats. I try to keep ahead of my stash of scraps by cutting them down into 2 1/2, 3 1/2, 4 1/2" squares and strips of various widths. Then they're ready when I need them.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:56 AM

I love my wonder clips, I use them alot, in fact alot more than I thought I would. I also have the thin flower head pins, they are great, and nice and long. And my sewing machine I love.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:00 AM

1. My computer
2. June Taylor Square Up Ruler
3. Creative Grids 2 1/2 x 6 1/2 Ruler
4. Silk Glass Head Pins
Old 01-11-2014, 06:06 AM

I thought I'd add a different sort of favorite 'tool' to the mix. I find piecing so much easier when I have some Kwik Sort on my fingers. http://www.leeproducts.com/Sorting_Sortkwik.aspx
It's the pink fingertip moistener used when you handle a lot of paper.
I find it very helpful when trying to line up 2 pieces of fabric to pin and stitch in place. I keep small containers of Kwik Sort next to my machine, in my Tutto rolling bag for when I sew away from home, and in with EPP supplies. It's a little inexpensive tool that makes all the difference in the world for me.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:26 AM

I love all gadgets IF they work! I get rid of them, if they don't. I love my June Taylor shape cut, all Creative Grid rulers, my clover clip (use them for many things which need pinning), my Elmers School Glue and 505 basting spray. The one thing for which I am really thankful and for some reason didn't seem to catch on is the Gizmo to cut apart chained pieces. This one item has saved me SO much aggravation, and I no longer run the risk of cutting into a sewn piece. Here's a link for those who wonder what I'm talking about. This little gadget is very inexpensive and worth it's weight in gold. http://quiltsbyjen.ca/what-is-the-cutting-gizmo/
Old 01-11-2014, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by franc36 View Post
The quilting aid I use the most is a 5" x 10" ruler by Kimberly Einmo. Since I sew with lots of pre cuts, that ruler is the perfect size. Lately, I have been making blocks with lots of tiny pieces (e.g., a 12" block with 100 pieces). The small ruler is perfect.

As for the Clover clips, I love them. I bought a small package of 10, I think, and was not too impressed; but later, I was able to get 100 for half price. Having enough clips for the entire quilt really made a difference. Now, I always use them to hold my binding in place. I wonder now how I ever did without them and can't believe that I once didn't like them.
You're my kind of person. I'm making blocks right now: 9.5 inches, and one has 37 pieces. I'm not counting any more. I have 29 finished, and 19 almost at the end. The corner stones are 2 inch squares. One has 11 pieces. I love using up things that other people threw away. My little 3X9 ruler works great for this. My favorite thing. (Yesterday it disappeared, and have not been able to find it. Bummer.)

I have some Clover clips, but stopped using them when I found out about School Glue!
Old 01-11-2014, 06:52 AM

I love my Clover clips. Great for binding.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:59 AM

My stilleto for sewing the top of the quilt together. Use your stilleto instead of your fingers to guide the fabric under the pressor foot. You never have to worry about getting your fingers too close to the needle.