Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's in Your Sewing Kit? >

What's in Your Sewing Kit?

What's in Your Sewing Kit?

Old 01-06-2020, 08:50 AM

Default What's in Your Sewing Kit?

First off, let me say that I do have all sorts of gadgets, gizmos, rulers, and other things like stencils and mirrors and many things related to quilting that are not shown here. Not only are they not shown but they don't fit and weigh a ton.

But this is my main sewing kit and it is what I take as my portable sewing kit. So I typically have a couple of cutters, a small ruler or two, some pins, some needles, some of this and that. When the board was changing over I decided it was time to clean it out and so here it is. Looks like I should throw in a couple more thread choices and maybe take out those snips. I was a good quilter this year and there are a couple of presents that are not standard!

Secondly, I was admitting in another thread today that I just love the Minions from Despicable Me. Don't know why but they just crack me up, so I have a number of Minions items and yes, I do pick up the fabrics now and then. Wearing a Minions shirt today and my next project after the Bonnie Hunter Frolic (I thought I'd be doing them at the same time but I was wrong!) will be using Minions fabric.
Attached Thumbnails 100_5434.jpg  
Old 01-06-2020, 12:16 PM

Oh wow, *every* sewing kit should come with a package or two of M&M's! Great idea! I'm going to have to take a picture of my two - one is the one I bought, and the other I inherited, both I love.
Old 01-06-2020, 04:46 PM

I keep the basics, threads in a few different colors,needles, thread clippers, rotary cutter, fresh blades, pins, Good Scissors, beeswax, quilting thread, emery board, needle threader, gel pen and pencil, I also keep some fabric clips and a tape measure. I suppose I keep more things in my sewing kit than others. I do add things from time to time especially if I am working on a project. Oh yeah I also keep a 6" square cutting board and ruler and seam ripper with me at all times. It goes with me many places and is alway in my sewing bag if I am doing some hand piecing or hand quilting. It is rarely away from my traveling sewing machine (which is were it is now). Oh yeah there is one more thing I keep in my sewing kit. A few buttons are a necessity. This gives you an idea of what I like to have on hand to keep me busy when out and about or just at home so I can sit in bed with DH and enjoy watching tv with him.
Old 01-06-2020, 06:05 PM

Is the floss for something quilting related or just good oral hygiene? I can't come up with a creative quilting use for this and am wondering what I am missing!

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
First off, let me say that I do have all sorts of gadgets, gizmos, rulers, and other things like stencils and mirrors and many things related to quilting that are not shown here. Not only are they not shown but they don't fit and weigh a ton.

But this is my main sewing kit and it is what I take as my portable sewing kit. So I typically have a couple of cutters, a small ruler or two, some pins, some needles, some of this and that. When the board was changing over I decided it was time to clean it out and so here it is. Looks like I should throw in a couple more thread choices and maybe take out those snips. I was a good quilter this year and there are a couple of presents that are not standard!

Secondly, I was admitting in another thread today that I just love the Minions from Despicable Me. Don't know why but they just crack me up, so I have a number of Minions items and yes, I do pick up the fabrics now and then. Wearing a Minions shirt today and my next project after the Bonnie Hunter Frolic (I thought I'd be doing them at the same time but I was wrong!) will be using Minions fabric.
Old 01-06-2020, 07:57 PM

It is unwaxed floss and I use it for repairs (purses, cushions, jackets, shoes...), or most recently I made a child's quilt with button eyes and I used the floss instead of thread. But good question. And sometimes there is that little bit of spinach that you just gotta get out!

Usually someone teases me about the tape first time they see it. I prefer the 1" roll of blue tape, that one is a bit too wide and I don't like the print on it, but I always have blue tape in my kit. I use the 1/4" masking tape to help mark my rulers among other things.

Julia, my beeswax is in my top desk drawer. Don't really know why it's there and not in the kit. Back when I did costuming and garments, I just loved my beeswax but I don't seem use it much nowadays, but I picked it up and smelled it just the other day.

Behind the sewing kit is one of my super sized goodwill bags, I don't know what they are made from but they are great for hauling fabrics and quilt projects, light weight, strong and durable. Don't often come in the super size though but are worth the price when they have them (not the free bags, these have a sewn cord handle). I'm able to put a top for binding in there and slip in a few more things if needed.

For my group/classes sort of times, I also have a nice little notebook thing an internet friend made me many years ago that has a cutting board in it. It's currently in one of my project boxes, but I should post a picture of it, it is notebook sized and folds in half, in the inside is a small cutting mat on one side and a flannel design board on the other. The outside of the notebook is padded and covered with fabric and can be used as an ironing surface or you can stick pins in it too.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post

my bionic gear bag always has my undo seam ripper, small embroidery scissors, rotary cutter, pack of blades, medium pair of scissors, pack of machine needles, pack of hand needles, magic pins, thread, and a stiletto or purple thang, and a screw driver
Old 01-11-2020, 09:38 AM

Oh C'mon now! I've gone places and seen the lovely rolling cases and fancy project pouches that you've either made or purchased, please share your kits/essentials.

Bringing this back up because the hubby was fiddling with something and muttering about needing one of those darn eyeglass screw drivers that he can never find (because he doesn't put things away) and I said -- like this one? As voila! I pulled the marked down set I had ready in my sewing kit.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:13 AM

I’ve only recently started EPP after seeing some beautiful quilts and tutorials online, so it wasn’t too long ago that I built my sewing kit. It has needles, one spool of thread, scissors, some fabric and hexagons, glue stick, needle threaders, and wonder clips. I should definitely add a seam ripper and M&M’s.

Your comment about your hubby and his tools made me laugh, Iceblossom. My hubby is the same about putting his tools away. He is only allowed to use my tools with conditions, haha! He is often doing the same with looking for the proper tool and I almost always know where it is.
Old 01-11-2020, 11:41 AM

I have a purchased bag with duplicates of a lot of sewing items so I can just grab it and go when I want to quilt with one of my groups. Here’s a partial list. Large cutter, ripper, scissors (of different types), thread scissors on a hand made cotton stuffed rope with beaded end so I can’t loose them. Bobbins for featherweight, Needle Oiler, brush & Q-Tips for cleaning and oiling after every bobbin change. Stash of starter and stopper fabric. Screwdriver, Needles, purchased weighted fabric waste catcher for thread etc., Fabric markers both washout and pencil, 6” ruler. I have a taller bag with stiffer sides that is also always ready to go. It has a turntable Martelli cutting mat. A smaller cutting mat salvaged & cut down to fit 2’ x 3 1/2’ plastic folding table hubby screwed a 1/4” plywood to; padded mat to fit said table for pressing. HI HO AND AWAY (hint Lone Ranger) this quilter is ready to travel to the neighboring towns or in our camper
Old 01-11-2020, 01:19 PM

This is so much fun. Found some things I need to add and/or replace. This is for day trips. It all stays packed in the rolling case. For retreats it's a lot more.

For cutting: med size rotary cutter, 2 folding cutting mat 18x24 & 12x18, 6x12 cutting ruler, Kia small scissors, seam ripper

For sewing: machine and accessory box, table extension, extension cord, power strip, stiletto, herra tool, mechanical pencil, white mechanical pencil, pin cushon with trash catcher, hand sewing needles, safety pins & straight pins, neutal color thread.

For pressing: small iron, 2 cotton towels for pressing mat (also works as padding so tools don't get scratched)

For comfort: Gypsy Sit Upon, low sugar granola bar.

When getting ready for the event I add my project with any necessary tools, thread. Then finally traveling mug with something to drink.

Probably should add magnifying clip on glasses; my eyes are getting worse and have cataracs that are getting worse.