Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When Binding by machine.... >

When Binding by machine....

When Binding by machine....

Old 08-06-2018, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
I use 2 1/4" binding too but I put it on differently. I stitch it to the back of the quilt first with about a 3/8" seam. Then flip it over to the front and sew it with an adjustable zipper foot. I hold 2-3" inches in place, with the edge just a hair over the seam line and sew the few inches, stop and place the next few inches, sew, etc. It tends to go fast when you get going, I'm always finished sooner than I thought I'd be. and I don't have all that extra binding outside of the seam.

Cari
I also sew on the back first. Then I feel the overlap with my fingernail. I'm not as concerned about the stitching showing on the back.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:07 AM
mac

Originally Posted by beach quilter View Post
I just use a serpentine stitch. catches enough of the back edge to keep it down and if it's not perfectly straight it doesn't show. I've seen other decorative stitches used too. Looks like part of the design and a great use for pretty threads
How do you do the corners of the quilt binding? Do you cut the thread and then restart the sewing after you fold over the mitered corner?
Old 08-06-2018, 07:50 AM

I will definitely try sewing it to the back first next time.

This board is so great. I would never have thought of that on my own, as sewing it to the front is just how I was always taught. Guess I need to be a rebel sometimes.

Watson
Old 08-06-2018, 07:58 AM

I have the same issues - which is why I do the final stitching by hand. I don't like that lip of fabric on the back either; on baby quilts because they washed so much I will do a decorative stitch so it goes over both sides of the seam line and will stand up under many washings. I have tried all different widths; nothing has worked, so. . . . .
Old 08-06-2018, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I cut my binding at 2-1/2" wide, fold in half, press, sew it on with 3/8" seam on the back. Turn over and stitch to the front. I check to make sure all of the front binding is sewn down. Get it ready to be laundered, then on to the next quilt. If I made competition or heirloom quilts I might worry about how the back of the binding looks, probably not. If I am pleased then whomever gets it will be pleased too.
This is pretty much how I do it too. I cannot physically do the hand stitching, so I make the best of it.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:57 PM

I iusually fold miter and try to stop with stitch on inside edge and turn. corners don't always match exactly but close enough. Also very sturdy especially for kids quilts
Old 08-07-2018, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by mac View Post
How do you do the corners of the quilt binding? Do you cut the thread and then restart the sewing after you fold over the mitered corner?
Mac, Slow the machine down and stop stitching about 2 inches before the point.

Fold the binding into the corner fold and hold it together. Continue stitching until you reach that corner turning point. Keep the needle down in the corner point.

Lift up the presser foot, turn the quilt and continue to sew the binding.

Here is a tutorial I have used to sew binding.

https://quiltwithmarcibaker.com/mitered-corners-for-quilt-binding-dont-miss-the-point-2/

This also shows How to Stitch Off the Corners.

Last edited by Rhonda K; 08-07-2018 at 04:32 AM.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
what a timely post. Rryder, I also have the Martelli zip binding and quarter inch foot set-up. I am determined to make it work for me and have bound this week a total of 3 quilts and have 2 more to do. On the third one, it seems to be getting better. How many did you have to complete before it really started looking good? (I think my first two times - the batting that was way too fluffy). My last one was using warm & natural and I really liked that....so maybe that's the key...find a batting that you can get to work and stick with it? How much practice do I need until I feel it's good? I do machine binding for Quilts of Valor and Project Linus and really want them to look nice.
I found that I was able to do a good job with it fairly quickly. The secret is following their instructions very carefully and doing a lot of checking to make sure that the back side of the binding has not worked loose from their holder. i sew for about sixinches, stop and check thta the back of the binding is still inserted properly in the binding tool holder thingy and then continue sewing.

i would not use this system for a quilt that will be shown or entered in competitions, but it does make it fairly quick and easy to do a completely machine sewn binding that looks pretty good and is secure and sturdy enough for a quilt that will get a lot of use.

Rob
Old 08-07-2018, 08:30 AM

Thanks rryder....I'm getting better the more I do. On the 4th quilt.....I was finally able to "catch" the back side! Finally. I think I like it......finally. Both QOV and Project Linus prefer the machine binding.....so that's why I was so determined.
Glad to see someone out there who is successful using it. I go really slow and like your hint of checking every 6 inches or so. Thanks!
Old 08-09-2018, 07:40 AM

I have put all my bindings on by machine for many years now. I am also the binding queen at comfort quilt workshops. I cut my binding 2 1/2" wide, fold in half and iron. I then sew my binding on the back of the quilt, one third of the way from the edge. Then you fold up 1/3 and down the front 1/3. I can then sew on the binding edge (on the front) and see where the stitches are. I like to use the same fabric for the binding (or close in color) as the backing. That way you don't really see the stitches too much on the back and the front always looks great. Try it, you will like your results.