Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • When to buy thread? >
  • When to buy thread?

• When to buy thread?

Old 05-20-2011, 02:48 AM

Morning ...
    Were using thread not rare spices....
    I can't imagine in this day and age throwing out something that still does the purpose.
    Old 05-20-2011, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Maia B
    Baloney! Clothes being washed and worn, exposed to light, mechanical stress, and extremes of temperature and humidity last years. Quality thread protected from light, dust, and temperature extremes and exposed to no stress or wear, is not going to go bad on the spool in a year, even 5 years, even longer. This is the type of thing that discredits a teacher or shop. IMO, this violates the trust of students. I've been experiencing this too, classes that are as much a commercial as a class. But to give such blatantly wrong advice just to generate sales? Blech! Bob Purcell, president of Superior Threads, teaches a thread seminar. He doesn't criticise other brands, and he says we should put quality thread collections in our wills.
    Good information. Thanks for sharing that. And testing it periodically is a good idea given here, too. I hadn't thought of putting thread in my Will but I have thought of who I'd want my fabric to go to. Why not? Most of my family members wouldn't know what to do with it and would probably be glad to know my wishes because I love fabric...and would take it with me if that were possible. ;o)
    GG-Gma
    Old 05-20-2011, 10:47 AM

I have never heard that
    Old 05-20-2011, 09:22 PM

I agree, it looks like they just want to line there pockets.
    I this day and time where money is not there, we just can't replace it for no reason.
    Old 05-21-2011, 03:53 AM

I quess that I can not imagine not using a entire spool of thread on a quilting project. If I buy thread on the 500yd spools such as from Joann's I ususally go thru almost 2 spools just for piecing and another 2+ spools for FMQ. I have actually used up 3 1200yds spools from Connecting thread in the past 2 months for piecing only. I have found older thread to be brittle and break easily so I don not use it.
    Old 05-21-2011, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by bigsister63
    I guess that I can not imagine not using a entire spool of thread on a quilting project. If I buy thread on the 500yd spools such as from Joann's I usually go thru almost 2 spools just for piecing and another 2+ spools for FMQ. I have actually used up 3 1200yds spools from Connecting thread in the past 2 months for piecing only. I have found older thread to be brittle and break easily so I don not use it.
    Is that why some my embroidery thread breaks and some doesn't? even if it was only last year when I bought it.
    Old 05-21-2011, 01:51 PM

I wonder if she meant to say "sewing machine needle" and in the stress of teaching the wrong phrase came out. ?????
    Old 05-22-2011, 10:29 AM

I have thread that is older than dirt. If clothing and quilts from early last century have lasted without anyone having to take out the thread and resew them, then the thread must last. Thread these days is too expensive for me to just buy new thread everytime I start any type of project.
    Old 05-22-2011, 10:43 AM

I have heard of this. You need to check really old thread, especially cotton as it can deteriorate over time depending on the conditions of its storage.
    Old 05-22-2011, 12:49 PM

I just thrown out more thread than I care to remember (over 50 spools). I was told by someone that if you can rip it with your hands than it is too old and will continually break as you sew. Believe me that did happen just last year( but the thread was over 10 years old.