Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When to buy thread? >

When to buy thread?

When to buy thread?

Old 05-19-2011, 07:12 AM

I took a class at the local Hancock store once. The gal told us we had to purchase the fabric, thread, needles, etc there. The ones we had at home were not good enough to do a project with at their location. We were taught to use the color wheel and had to buy everything the instructor picked out. The class was $40 and by the end of the night, I was sick - my bill was $159.00! Needless to say I hated that project.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:15 AM

OK, the way I am seeing this? That Instructor OWNS a thread company? :thumbdown:

Craziness. Thread can last much longer than one year! :roll:
OK, another nutty thought debunked I hope :)

Sharon, what on earth did you make? WOWOW, I would have fainted dead pn the spot.
Julie
Old 05-19-2011, 07:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ScrappyAZ
Originally Posted by Holice
did you ask the teacher why she says to toss the thread? If I were you I would ask the next time I saw her or the shop owner.
In my 30+ yrs of quilting I have never heard this.
I was not in the class. I was in the store and overheard what the instructor said. Buying new thread for each project didn't make sense to me, but I thought "Hey, she's an instructor so she must know what she's talking about."

I'm happy to know I'm not the only person who uses thread that's several years old.
While what you heard may have been correct a such ... hearing it out of context does not give you the full story. There might be some specific reasons what they were talking about. If you heard it, why didn't you ask the person tending the shop for clarification?

That being said, I am in the keep it and use it camp.
Fibre technology has come a long way, so I'm sure any we purchase now will be usable for a long time with out worries.
Periodically though, I do try to downsize my thread stash, just in case!
Old 05-19-2011, 07:29 AM

Hmmm... Sounds like she worked for the government before she taught quilting classes. Ha!
Old 05-19-2011, 07:32 AM

I have thread from years of storing....the kind that you needed a specific color that's not primary colors. I've never had problems using these old threads when using them years later for other projects.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK
Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
I've never heard that! You should check older threads by trying to stretch & break them. If it breaks easily, discard it, otherwise, it's good to go.
good advice.
I agree. I've had some of my thread for YEARS and rarely have had any problems. I like to stock up with thread and thread sets too so that I have a good selection at all times and don't have to run out to match every new project.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by babyfireo4
I would say she was helping the lqs. If thread holds the quilt together for years and years why would it even be possible for it to go bad within one year? It just doesn't add up to me :/
DITTO!
Old 05-19-2011, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by lheartsl
that sounds strange! I would think as long as it isn't from the year of the flood it would be ok...
I've some that predates the flood and it is still good. However, I always check it by trying to break it before I use it. froggyintexas
Old 05-19-2011, 07:40 AM

I have thread that is over 20 yr old and is still good. what nonsense. She thought she could con some new people into buying more thread and maybe she got something in return for that type of thing. Who knows now a days.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:52 AM

That sounds like a dumb, store-serving comment. Can you what a brand new quilter would think.