Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When to cut your losses? >

When to cut your losses?

When to cut your losses?

Old 03-30-2010, 10:23 AM

I agree. It needs a new border.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:52 AM

Send it to me AS IS and I will replace the last border!!!!!
Old 03-30-2010, 10:59 AM

I agree with most of the others. The quilt is really nice, I don't see anything wrong with the star either. I would change the border to a solid, too many colors mixed. I would go for a choc brown or teal color to finish. Otherwise great quilt.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:05 AM

Everyone has given such good ideas and you might be surprised--- you just haven't found the right person yet. Just as there is a Jack for every Jill somewhere, there will be someone who just LOVES this quilt. The picnic quilt idea may help find that someone. I would use it to wrap up at the football game after I used it as a practice quilt to improve my machine quilting skills.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by yourstrulyquilts
I"m working on it! right now the older one is mad at me and I have the younger one's in the planning thus the Learning to paper piece, Tonight if the older one is talking to me I will see what he likes as he is in the process of buying a house "to get otta here" :(

It's a ruse. He isn't really mad, just needs to leave home. Hang in there, empty nest is coming!![/quote]

Empty bedroom = new (another) quilting room. You have to find the silver lining in every situation. LOL
Old 03-30-2010, 12:17 PM

Maybe I am nuts, but I like it. I do agree that the two borders need to be replaced, maybe with a dark blue! If you have not gotten rid of it... there are a number of military hospitals that would really appreciate something nice and colorful on their beds. I know the hospital At McDill Air Force Base in Tampa, Florida, would really like them. What a way to support our wounded military.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:18 PM

I agree the border is nice, but should be on another quilt. Maybe you could put on a more appropriate border and make a nice back that you could live with, using some of the fabrics on the front in rows or squares or another simple pattern, have it quilted, or you could tie it or quilt it yourself, and eventually you might like the side you've done, which I think looks perfectly fine except for the border, and you'd have a 2-sided quilt.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:21 PM

i think black would really make those colors pop. a king-sized carpenter's wheel is a wonderful site. since there's already black, or something that looks black, in there, paler colors will look a little weak. imo. especially with a white background. watch the kids fight over it, then keep it. phtooooop!! :hunf:
Old 03-30-2010, 12:29 PM

I love it ... and would gladly take it ;) but alas someone asked before me ... and I would be in big trouble if I try to jump to the beginning of the line.

I do agree that the current borders distract from the center ... this quilt is not ugly ...
Old 03-30-2010, 12:44 PM
Banned

I love the Carpenter's Star quilt - My girls and I made one for my husband's birthday. He loves everything about it! He loves the clean lines, the fact that it is called a "Carpenter"s star (he is a carpenter) and that it was made with love by all four of his girls!

In my humble (longarm quilter) opinion, I think once it is quilted up, the texture of the quilting will really bring it to life, and you will love it again. I'll attach a picture, and you can see what I mean. This was quilted with a layer of cotton and a layer of wool batting to make the quilting stand out.

I like the idea of removing the outer border and replacing with a plain or tone on tone color drawn from one of the more prominent colors in your quilt already such as the browns. It would really frame it and tie it all in together - as long as it was in the "darks" family, not a medium tone. You may not need a huge 10" wide border - mine has a 1-1/2" stop border with a 6" outer border. And by the way, nice work!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-37152.jpe   attachment-37219.jpe