Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
when do you decide to destash fabrics? >

when do you decide to destash fabrics?

when do you decide to destash fabrics?

Old 10-19-2010, 10:00 AM

Over the years the stash was built because we were too poor to not stash. A lot of the fabric there is because "it was such a bargain, I had tio have it" So I guess we weren't that poor LOL
Now, we're not as poor and I've been going through the stash and actually have put some in the 'going to Goodwill' pile. Someone can use it
It's not really de-stashing though, the Goodwill store is in an old shopping center - right next to the Joann's!
Old 10-19-2010, 10:05 AM

You are right about the stash being for when times were slim and we didn't have the money to buy when it was needed. I used to go to moms and get pieces out of her stash and thought how neet it was to have fabric stashed for when you really couldn't afford to buy. That was the reasoning behind the start of my stash. But there was a year that I was sick and had been in hosp (no pay for that time) and I didnot have money for school clothes. Praise the Lord for the stash! My kids had new clothes for school. I used my six weeks get well time to sew them. linda
Old 10-19-2010, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by justme2
Me? I still have bits & pieces of fabrics from when I started 20 yrs ago. Have a good excuse tho, I do mostly scrappy,so it'll all show up somewhere.
Scrappy is great, and obviously works well for you. Could you tell the name of the quilt pattern that you display on your avatar, it is so beautiful?
Old 10-19-2010, 01:53 PM

don't destash, use the ugly ones for practicing new stuff, techniques, stitches, etc.

My problem is what to do with the scraps tho - I keep making this quilt or that quilt and making scraps, but can't bring myself to throw them out. They are well contained so the hoarder police won't come and get me, but still, I can't stand to waste anything but am sick of seeing them just sit there ignored.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by wolph33
I destash when all shelves are full,all my spare boxes are full,stacks on the floor that keep getting bumped over and my cutting table has a mountain on it.I am destashing this fall.also have more 5 in squares than I could ever use
i'll take those 5" squares off your hands anytime... i love to use the charm packs...
Old 10-19-2010, 02:29 PM

i'm working on the omigosh quilt.. and have discovered that when you cut stuff into 1" strips, after the 1/4" seam there is only 1/2 " of fabric visible...

nothing is so ugly you can't get a good 1/2" out of it....

my dd calls that the "mom's on crack" quilt. lol
Old 10-19-2010, 03:09 PM

One of my goals this next year is to use more of my stash. I have a lot of patterns I have saved and I want to try them! Make like a sampler quilt. Even if I don't know what I will do with the quilt, I am going to be productive! I just made a lot of presents this past weekend and got into my stash! It felt really good to use some of the fabric up! One part of me says, oh you have to use it for a special project! Then the logical part, goes it needs to be used and not held on to! :-)
Old 10-19-2010, 04:37 PM

OK here is one for you. I work with several younger gals and they always expect me to make something special for them for Christmas. This year I am making little bag that closes with a measuring tape insert/8 inches You do an 18 x 21 for the inside and and 18x 18 for the outside Fold both pieces to the middle and set one side then insert the tape and sew the other side. Uses up a lot of your stash but they are really nice. I buy things from the 99 cent store to put in them.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:09 PM

I thought you could de-stash only under emergency circumstances?
Old 10-19-2010, 05:27 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by drgranny
Add to de stash; add to de stash; come on baby, add to de stash! linda
ahahahaaaaaa.. LOVE IT !!!!!! Ive got a new motto now!!!