Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When do you have too much fabric? >

When do you have too much fabric?

When do you have too much fabric?

Old 02-29-2016, 02:53 PM

I think I now have too much. My mother packed up a lot that I had at her house. This was Joann and Walmart fabric clearance purchases where I bought yards and yards. Adding that to what I have in a storage unit (there are a lot of other items in there so it is not all fabric) and in my sewing room, it is staggering. I thought I wasn't buying much anymore until I started keeping yardage tallies in and out and realized that I was not sewing fast enough. So, time to get crackin'
Old 02-29-2016, 07:09 PM

a 20 FQ pack for $20?? Wow! I keep trying to move more of my daughter's stuff to her house so have more storage in her closet (my sewing room is her old bedroom)--but hey, she does her quilt "shopping" at my house so it works for me!
Old 03-01-2016, 07:46 AM

I know I have too much fabric but I can't help buying when I see such beautiful fabrics out there. Just the other day I went over to the fabric store only to pick up some empty bolt boards............at least that's what I told myself. Well, then I started looking at their batiks and noticed some were just about out so thought I'd go ahead and get them as there wasn't much on the bolt. Well, $214 later I left with lots of empty bolts, fabrics which were on sale so though I didn't need these fabrics I'm glad I have them. Now where to stash them as I'm out of comic book boards and these are really too short to go back onto the fabric bolts. Plus I still had fabrics I purchased the weekend before I hadn't folded up........they too were short on the bolt. Usually these stores give you a 10% discount if you empty the bolt but not this time from both of them. Of well, the batiks I picked up will go toward a Storm at Sea I have on my Project shelf for later this year. So not loss.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:26 AM

I think not enough of a particular fabric is a more likely problem. Too much would apply if you have to rearrange just to get to the sewing machine.

When the task of organizing seems overwhelming, that can be so stressful it isn't fun anymore. I'm trying to keep things in order so I can concentrate on my projects, not my stash. It doesn't help that I just added a seventh machine (4th one in a table). Time to get busy!
Old 03-01-2016, 09:31 AM
Banned

Well I am WAY beyond having to much fabric.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

I think you already know. For me the realization hit when I could not stuff another F4 into the closet. I am now participating in this group http://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltin...273964-33.html and for the most part I am doing well. There is the occasional fall (or jump) off the wagon but with MUCH LESS impact than before. I actually have some openings in my closet.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:09 AM

I don't know if you ever have too much fabric. As long as you enjoy it, keep it. Since I"m still working I just say that I'm building up my stash so if I don't have as much money when I retire, I'll have plenty of fabric to sew. lol. Works for me.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:07 PM
Power Poster

I have not reached that point yet.
Old 03-01-2016, 03:08 PM

If you are concerned that you have too much fabric, if it is causing anxiety, or dysfunction, you probably do have too much fabric. If a burglar broke in and hauled most of your fabric away in his semi and you would feel relieved, then you probably have too much fabric. If your husband gets lost in the maze of your fabric and he can't find his way out for two days, then you probably have too much fabric. If you have more money invested in fabric than your retirement fund then you have too much fabric. If the weight of your fabric is causing the floor to sag, then you have too much fabric. Create your own scenario. If you have to ask, you probably do.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:34 PM

I guess it's possible to have too much fabric, but I'm not there yet. If I really love it or need it for a project, then I go ahead and get a small amount.