Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When is fabric a "UFO" and when is it a "stash"? >

When is fabric a "UFO" and when is it a "stash"?

When is fabric a "UFO" and when is it a "stash"?

Old 06-12-2011, 11:31 PM

Thats why I don't have stash... it's all PIGS !!! Love it :)
Old 06-13-2011, 01:14 AM
Power Poster

a ufo is AN UNFINISHED OBJECT...usually a project we start- and for what ever reason set aside before completion- sometimes never to be touched again.
a wip--IS A WORK IN PROCESS...these are the uncompleted ones we have not given up on- still working on.
all the scraps-and fabric you were talking about- that's stash---new yardage, left overs, gifts & finds- if it is fabric which has not been sewn to other fabric (YET) :)
Old 06-13-2011, 03:45 AM

>

Well, that explains it! I have many PIGS in my sewing rooms,so they must be 'rooting around' at night and causing all that mess! I just knew it wasn't me! LOL
Old 06-13-2011, 03:50 AM

heheeh I have so many PIG's..they could be consider pigs in a blanket bag......sure hope my hubby never reads this....hahah
Old 06-13-2011, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by LeslieFrost
Someone said that there is another category: PIGs -- project still in grocery sack!
I love that phrase. I have lots of those!!
Old 06-13-2011, 03:56 AM

They could also be considered a NESTY - not even started yet. That's what I call the fabric with patterns I have.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:04 AM

Interesting question, because "stash" is usually seen as something very desirable, and "UFO" as something negative.

So, from a psychological point of view, why move from a good place to a bad place and start a project? Why cut your fabric up and then have the burden of the worry that it may not turn out right, or may not, in fact, turn out at all?

I don't have the answer, but how I deal with it is by not labelling anything I have started in a negative way. Any work I do is a learning process for me. I am fortunate enough not to have to worry about the (relatively modest) sums I spend on materials so, as far as I am concerned, it is not all about finishing things (although that is always great). I am working on a quilt at the moment which I expect will take years to finish at the rate I am going. That is because I have a job which is fulltime plus, and I have three young children, and I have other responsibilities and I have other hobbies and my project has to wait until I have time and headspace to work on it.

I would much rather have this project ongoing (and yes I like looking at my design wall, even though the same two blocks are sitting there for a about a month now, untouched) than to have the fabric as "stash". Stash is impersonal, even when I have chosen fabrics I love. Once I cut it up and start planning what to make, it is mine, and I like that!
Old 06-13-2011, 04:05 AM

I just call them PINS...Projects I've Not Started. It's completely normal to have PINS hanging around your sewing area, right? ;)
Old 06-13-2011, 12:45 PM

I seem to have a lot of UFO's, as well as PIGS and even more stash! But I love all of it - wouldn't trade it for anything!