Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When a friend asks What do you charge for this: UPDATE >

When a friend asks What do you charge for this: UPDATE

When a friend asks What do you charge for this: UPDATE

Old 05-30-2011, 03:12 AM

I think you are going about this the right way. When someone asks me to make a quilt, I regard it as a collaboration between the maker and recipient. By the time ya'll settle on a pattern and colors, she will be very educated about the process, hopefully valuing it all the more.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:09 AM

What if you stuck to the darker values -- instead of a light light go for lighter than medium light etc... does that make sense? The light in my star is actually more of a medium when compared to the white background
Old 05-30-2011, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by shnnn
What if you stuck to the darker values -- instead of a light light go for lighter than medium light etc... does that make sense? The light in my star is actually more of a medium when compared to the white background
Background for the top she wants sky blue, for the star she wanted royal blue, deep purple, hunter green - dark rainbow so there would be no bursting which this star is famous for.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:21 PM

Can you have her pick fabrics from one of those sites where she can see what they would be like next to each other. There is a name for it but can not remember it - maybe someone else can.

That way she can move the pieces around and see what it looks like together.

Just a thought.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by KarenR
Can you have her pick fabrics from one of those sites where she can see what they would be like next to each other. There is a name for it but can not remember it - maybe someone else can.

That way she can move the pieces around and see what it looks like together.

Just a thought.
I am trying to keep the cost down for her. It's why I am sending her to MarshallDryGoods and Favorite Fabrics for the marbled fabric.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:17 PM

Sent her another email asking if we could change out the pattern to one that would love dark rainbow colors. It is a Stack the Deck. Nice large block quilt that is fun to piece, points don't need to match as it is considered a crazy quilt.
Here is a pic of mine that I did last year, it would also save her money as only one border and I already know that would be sky blue. Backing would be blue, quilt would have scalloped edges with rainbow stripe binding. I used 9 fat quarters to make this, it's approx 50x50.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-204383.jpe  
Old 05-30-2011, 02:33 PM

For a queen you need 6 fabrics for the star... Green, bluer green, blue, purpley blue, purple then the red for the radiant ring? If you skip the step between the purple and red it will stand out a bit... Wont radiate as much as it would with a wide range of values, but still might work -- worst case it's a LoneStar instead of a Radiant Star