Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
when is it good enough for you? >

when is it good enough for you?

when is it good enough for you?

Old 01-01-2014, 06:27 AM

I just do the very best I can. My seam lines must line up exactly and points touch where they should and not ever chopped off; to accomplish this, I have to be extra careful and completely focused because I (a) have no sense of direction and (b) detest seam ripping and (c) never give up or discard any pieces. Seam allowances are what tend to give me problems; sometimes I press to one side and sometimes I press open to reduce bulk, but I usually end up with some seam allowance confusion, areas where a lot of seams meet and they don't want to cooperate.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by stillclock View Post
i want to know how you decide it's good enough. does quilting perfection drive you? do you take out seams until everything is perfect or do you just prefer them done and move on?

quilting can always be more perfect, but done is in its own way an accomplishment.

what's your take on this balance?

aileen
'Perfection' has nothing at all to do with it for me; I don't set impossible goals like that for myself. I do, however, strive for excellence in every quilt I create.

Each and every quilt has to be the very best I can do at that particular point in time (I've been quilting for decades so my 'best' has changed considerably over the years). If not, it never leaves the studio. I absolutely refuse to settle for 'good enough' when I know I can do better and I have certainly never regretted 'getting it right' instead.

We each work in the manner, and to the standards, that give us the most pleasure and comfort with the process and the results. And isn't that what it's all about in the end?
Old 01-01-2014, 06:33 AM
pal

If it works for me, I'm happy. If it bothers me, I do something about it.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by pal View Post
If it works for me, I'm happy. If it bothers me, I do something about it.
I have exactly the same philosophy. If it bothers me, I fix it. I tend to be a pretty careful and accurate piecer so I don't lose many points, etc. But I do lose some and seldom go back unless I REALLY missed the mark, or if it is part of a larger design where it will be noticeable. I want to enjoy the process, not create one where I feel like I am never measuring up.

I do enough of that to myself in my professional life.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:55 AM

If it bothers you, fix it. If it doesn't bother you, it's good enough. I always try, like you did in your thought process, to remember who and what it's for. I would be more concerned about points on a quilt that might be displayed ( or potentially in a show) than one that is going to my 4 year old great niece.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:19 AM

we all quilt to the best of our abilities, but I can see getting lax on seams matching, points cut off, etc could make some get sloppy. My seams Must match, my points cannot be cut off and I will rip until they do. If it doesn't bother you, don't undo it, if it does, definetely do. I figure this work will speak of me when I'm gone. I want people to think I really cared enough to do my best, for everything. I can't defend my work when I'm gone so it must speak for me. I have improved over the years and I believe it's because I was hard on myself and made myself do it right. If I allowed too many mistakes, those mistakes just continue.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:48 AM

If she'll like that's great. But for yourself, use it as a practice piece, take plenty of pictures to remind you where you want changes and then the next time you use the Jenny Beyer prints, incorporate what you learned into that quilt.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

I am kind of half and half on this. When I am making it for myself I kind of let it go if it is not just right. When it is for someone who means a lot to me, I try very hard to make it come out right. It's important to me to have it be well done.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Pagzz View Post
In piecing I will try and fix a mistake up to three times if it still is off then I will toss that piece out or live with the point not matching. I don't do perfect quilts, but I strive to do my best work.
This is my policy also. I always strive to do my best, with the knowledge and skill I have at the time. I feel as if I improve with each quilting adventure, which is reflected in each new quilt I finish.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Nilla View Post
I rarely worry about an occasional imperfect point or seam unless it's really bad. I've been asked to make quilts for money several times, but I always turn that offer down. I quilt for fun so it's okay to make small mistakes. If I quilted for money, I would feel like it had to be perfect and then it wouldn't be fun.

I have a long arm and my skills are limited. I have to remind myself along the way that I do this for fun and it's okay if I make small mistakes. I have a quilt on my design wall right now that just isn't spectacular at all, but I made it to relieve stress. Sometimes you just need to sew 4 patches for days so you can think through a problem, so that's what I did. It will be a utilitarian quilt. I have to finish it and load it on the long arm before I do another top that's finished though because that top is truly lovely and it will be a gift for someone else so I want to practice on the not so beautiful one, then immediately load the pretty one while my skills are fresh.
I fully agree with you, I've been ask why don't you sell your quilts??? I don't make them to please /sell to others they are my gifts to some one that likes them as is, going commercial would spoil the process of fun for me.. HAPPY 2014