Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
when is it good enough for you? >

when is it good enough for you?

when is it good enough for you?

Old 01-01-2014, 09:01 AM
Power Poster

quote-quilting can always be more perfect, but done is in its own way an accomplishment.

Yes, this.

I have to work on relaxing and not being too perfect. Also I have too many ideas in my head and too little time.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:18 AM
Power Poster

I strive to do my best but only do over if it is really necessary . Most things I am not happy with I can not find or see after the quilt is finished.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:26 AM

I really try to hit a balance - don't want to leave noticeable mistakes, but I quilt for enjoyment, creativity and to relieve stress. I want to improve and grow but obsessiveness would kill every reason I quilt so I don't want to go down that road. Concerning the issues Stillclock mentioned, I think it depends on the reason for making the quilt and who is receiving it. Unless I was wanting to develop or improve a skill and/or if the receiver would notice and appreciate the effort and time put into the design elements I wouldn't add to the complexity of the project. Let's face it most of us are looking for at least some appreciative feedback- but if someone has no idea what they are looking at we can't be disappointed when the appreciation for our time and effort isn't expressed. In other words I've learned not to set myself up for disappointment. If I want to do it just for my own skill development and appreciation without any expectations from the receiver to "notice" the added effort I go for it.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:28 AM

I strive for perfection but I don't beat myself up with it either. I figure it is a learning process and if I did something wrong I unsew it but work at remembering for the next time to do different and better so no I have no perfect quilts but they all show different types of improvement.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:31 AM

It seems that people who start sewing via garments struggle more with perfection and willingness to put a pattern and color combos that are enchanting in a quilt but we would never wear as clothing. Also, if they were in 4-h or similar programs or competitions as kids they are most stressed over perfection. My mom was a basket case doing her first couple quilts and then we solved the color/pattern anxiety by buying from a coordinated line. But if the points not not match up exactly she simply cannot move past it. She tears out at 1/16" imperfection. It....must....be.....fixed. Lol. Most garment folks in the local quilt group are the same way.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:32 AM

I use each quilt as a learning experience. If I see something I could have done differently then I try to use that knowledge in the next quilt.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:54 AM

Someone on the board has at the bottom of her postings the statement: "Done is better than perfect."
Since I have been using that as my mantra, I have been accomplishing much more in my quilting and am happier. And because I am more relaxed, my quilting is actually getting better. Before I was very much a perfectionist. So I am working hard to just let go and have fun!
Old 01-01-2014, 04:41 PM

I used to be a perfectionist but I'm getting better ...in some areas of my life.... Problem is, most everything I make goes to family members so I want to do my best and, for me, my best isn't until it's right. So, yes, I do rip ..... and rip.....rip..................
Old 01-01-2014, 04:57 PM

A finished quilt is better than a perfect quilt. I simply don't do perfect.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:33 PM

Let me explain my "perfection" problem with the example of a quilt that I hope to finish soon. I bought the pattern while on vacation because it seemed easy and the shop had most of the needed material in a a kit, so I purchased the material and the pattern. I still needed the material for the setting triangles and the dark 1 inch squares for the small blocks and when I purchased it several months and many states later I simply bought it for color!!. Now--the quilt is comprised of 25 blocks of 3 inch squares that contain 9 inch blocks. (125 3 inch blocks) which alternate with 9 inch square blocks of autuum shades of batik. Strip piecing-no problem--except somehow I did a poor job of cutting the strips. Yes, I have had to take apart, remark and resew all 125 3 inch blocks. No problem, right? Wrong. When I purchased the dark material for the setting triangles and dark sections of the small 9 patch blocks I did not "feel" the material--I simply went with color!! Oh My. I now have 125 3 inch blocks consisting of 9 one inch squares of batik and flannel material. If I survive this quilt it will be 72"x 72" of set on-point blocks and it will have a tag stating "This took forever". As you can see I am not a perfectionist!