Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: when is a scrap too small to save?

Blog Entries
    I just read the pillowcase idea for pet beds .... I like that.
    I think I'll put a pillowcase by my cutting table.

I have to force myself to throw anything away - but started not long ago to sew strips and triangles together as i'm working...then i have "large" scrappy squares instead of a bunch of tiglins..

I save scraps down to 1/4 inch by 3 inch long. Use the strips to make a fabric bowl with the clothesline cord.
    Scraps of squares are no smaller than 1 inch. I have different boxes for 1 inch, 2 inch, and stripes.

Quote Originally Posted by erstan947 View Post
    I don't keep the lint......well maybe not that bad....but close

ROTFLMFHO!! erstan, you must be a Cajun at heart with that comment. I love it. And I'm about in the same position -- but only thing is, I can't handle scrappy very well. I try to organize them. So my space gets more and more filled with those plastic bags, shoe boxes, old lunch kits, popcorn cans, etc. with the scraps. Maybe one day...
    One step at a time, always forward.

I go by sighs......Take a deep breath and sigh: if it floats upward or you inhale it--get rid of it. If a sigh sends it to the floor--the vacuum gets it.

I save everything. The strips go in a bin. Large pieces are cut into usable squares and rectangles. small pieces go in a bag as i have a Bonnie Hunter crumb quilt in the works at all times(use them as leaders and enders). snipped threads and small small snips and pieces go in a bag to stuff dog and cat beds for the local shelter.

Blog Entries
    Anything that looks too small I now save for a lady who makes dog beds for the RSPCA. Now I don't feel guilty about it. I do cut kids fabrics into squares 2.5" - 6.5". I have these in separate zip lock bags. Also have 1.5" - 2.5" strips. Anywhere from 3" upwards. I still find it hard to part with but I just think of the dogs and maybe cats who will have a warm bed.

Quote Originally Posted by ssgirly View Post
    I'm new, and I was wondering what size scraps I should be saving. I realize that even the tiniest scraps can be used, but as a general rule what is the smallest scrap worth holding on to?
    Don't toss any scraps-I use all the ones not good for quilts to stuff pet beds that are donated to the animal shelters, they are badly needed & when too dirtly the shelter can dispose of them. It is a good feeling that nothing, even tiny scraps are wasted & someone or some needy animal is benefitted.

Senior Member hensandhollyhocks's Avatar
    I keep anything 1 1/2 inches or more.

Blog Entries
    hi check out bonnie hunter quiltville.com that is all she uses is scrapes, and she has lots of free patterns.

I keep almost everything. I do a lot of applique quilts and you just never know when you will need a teeny-tiny little piece of some color!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    OKSEWGLAD Beautiful little blocks.
    I keep it allm even the selvedges.
    I fill envelopes and offer them to those for inchy quilts or smaller.
    Also keep a fabric lumberyard......2 x 4, 3 x 4, 4 x 4 etc. Lots of little baggies.
    Then when I see people looking for that size, off they go.
    It nice to share what you aren't using.

I love Gyleens Pineapple quilt too. And I am going to her Quilt Camp in La Grange, Tx in august. HOw fun.
    SHe has a new Polygon template too. SO I am cutting 1.5" strips all the time for her patterns. She got married two months ago. If you email her she will call you too. Love her shows on thequiltshow.com

Good thread for sharing....hugs
    "Keep Smiling, Keep shining..knowing you can always count on me....for sure.
    That what friends are for...

First, pieces of at least fat quarter size are kept on shelves. For pieces smaller than that, I keep strips at least 1 inch wide if they are width of fabric. The rest of the scraps get cut into 5", 3-1/2" or 2" squares, which I store in clear plastic shoe boxes. I often raid the boxes to find that perfect little piece for a paper pieced square or other small project. Someday, I'll tackle a certain scrap quilt I have in mind, but there is a lot of sorting to do first....
    -Chris-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Blessed are the children of quilters, for they shall inherit the quilts....

It does not do well, Harry, to dwell on the dreams....and forget to live. - Albus Dumbledore

Banned
    If it'll cut to a 1+1/2" square, I cut it and save in a large popcorn tin.

I don't keep small scraps because I don't have any place to store them. I have some small scraps that I would like to donate to someone that uses small scraps. I was going to save them but have found that they take a lot of room and I really don't want to make a quilt using pieces smaller that 2". If anyone wants them please PM me.
    Lorraine

I'm currently working on a log cabin quilt that uses lots of 1 1/2" strips. Anything smaller than that I throw out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by debbieumphress View Post
    OKSEWGLAD Beautiful little blocks.
    I keep it allm even the selvedges.
    I fill envelopes and offer them to those for inchy quilts or smaller.
    Also keep a fabric lumberyard......2 x 4, 3 x 4, 4 x 4 etc. Lots of little baggies.
    Then when I see people looking for that size, off they go.
    It nice to share what you aren't using.

I love Gyleens Pineapple quilt too. And I am going to her Quilt Camp in La Grange, Tx in august. HOw fun.
    SHe has a new Polygon template too. SO I am cutting 1.5" strips all the time for her patterns. She got married two months ago. If you email her she will call you too. Love her shows on thequiltshow.com

Good thread for sharing....hugs
    Thanks Here's what can be done with 1 1/2" squares. Enjoy.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t194450.html
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

I keep every thing, even the lint. YES SERIOUSLY! What I can't use in a quilting project I use with my embellisher/felting machine or use to give 3D effects in fabric art projects.
    cparant

Because I also do applique work, I have for years saved and saved everything. Last year took a couple days and sorted by color and or kind, into gallon ziplock bags...that served me well when doing some scrape quilts. Now a dear friend have given me not one but two large 40 (?) gallon bags of her scrapes....with those I am going to cut into strips for my strip quilts, 1", 1-1/2", 2" and 2-1/2".... and throw them all into a box for my "String quilts" that I make for Project Linus, Local Homeless shelters and Camp Pendelton Hospital.......
    The only scrapes that I do not save is something 'not worthy' of a quilt. And as with my fabric stash, I am sure they will outlive me.....and then they can go to Goodwill.
    Do like the idea of using small think strips in the garden, had not thought of that before, good for tieing up my vines and the birds can pull threads

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3