Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: when is a scrap too small to save?

when is a scrap too small to save?

I'm new, and I was wondering what size scraps I should be saving. I realize that even the tiniest scraps can be used, but as a general rule what is the smallest scrap worth holding on to?

Blog Entries
    i'd use the criteria: do i have the room to store it; is it a color that i like?
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

When cutting for a top I save (and cut right then) any leftovers into 3" and/or 2" strips. I keep them in gallon zipp bags (by size) for future strip and other scrappy tops. Any smaller, I toss.
    Mary

Power Poster
    I save strips for scrappy quilts which I love to do. But I also save scraps because sometimes in doing applique you need a little piece of a color and it's better than making a cut in your fabric. I don't save anything smaller than an inch square.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    If it's a strip and it's smaller than an inch, I throw it. If it's pieces, I don't keep anything smaller than 2 inches. I might be wasteful, I don't know, but I know I would never work with those small pieces.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Blog Entries
    I save strips that are at least an inch wide and four inches long. Odd shapes have to be over two inches wide. If you don't use the scraps you will soon have more scraps then fabric to store. Have a pile of string or scrappy blocks ongoing to use the scraps as you go. I take my scrap barrel (use to be small bin) when it's overflowing to guild and and dump it on a table and I start sorting. Dump it and they will come! LOL. With all the help my scraps are sorted and lots given away to live somewhere else.
    Got fabric?

I don't keep any scrap smaller than 1" wide as only 1/2" shows after the seams.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    If it's a strip and it's smaller than an inch, I throw it. If it's pieces, I don't keep anything smaller than 2 inches. I might be wasteful, I don't know, but I know I would never work with those small pieces.
    I'm with jcrow... Any strip thinner than an inch but longer than 8 inches I give to hubby for the garden to tie up the vines... But anything bigger than that gets saved.. And put in its appropriate sterilite see thru boxes and drawers for later use .

I keep most scraps larger than 2in sq.after a year or so I sort them into what I may really use and give them away.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

Blog Entries
    I don't keep the lint......well maybe not that bad....but close

I'm with LavenderBlue...nothing smaller than an inch...even then I think before I throw due to my thriftiness! I go through them once in a while and make bags of scraps for my yearly garage sale, or for trade.

We recently started cutting all of our smallish scraps into 1.5" strips to use in pineapples (we bought the "Trash to Treasure" ruler by Gyleen Fitzgerald). Anything smaller than 1.5 by 2.5 got thrown out.

Darren

Blog Entries
    it truly depends on what kind of quilt s you make---if you never make anything with peices smaller than 5" squares---then anything smaller would be ...just storing...if you are an appliquer & use itty bitty pieces for all kinds of things---then itty bitty peices should be saved...if you like making water color quilts with 2" squares---then 2" would be the ones to save...
    so, decide what you will use===then pass on the rest- there is always someone working on a postage stamp quilt (sometimes 1/2" squares) or something and willing to take your scraps you have no use for off your hands- keep the ones you will use- there's not alot of reason to hold onto ones you will never use- that will just take up space-
    many people appreciate your leftovers you would never use.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I have some scraps that are less than an inch, that I use in my string quilts.. When I try to throw anything away I get shakey and begin to feel ill!!

Quote Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt View Post
    Any strip thinner than an inch but longer than 8 inches I give to hubby for the garden to tie up the vines...
    I LOVE this idea!! I am going to steal this idea and start doing this too. Anything I can do to keep stuff out of the landfill...

We use scraps down to 5/8" square for DH's tiny piece quilts. Narrow strings, I use to make my string quilt miniatures. Or if they are long, I crochet with them.

I put anything less than 3/4" into a plastic bag. When it gets full, I will offer it to anyone who wants to use the pieces to make art quilts. When I see tuts of people using their rotary cutters to make shreds, I think maybe my shreds would be valuable to someone.
    For me, I save 1" to 2 1/2" to make string quilts and squares from 2" to 7". I am still somewhat of a beginner, though and, so far I am not overrun with scraps. I have mostly 6" and 6 1/2" squares right now because I like to make I Spy quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by erstan947 View Post
    I don't keep the lint......well maybe not that bad....but close
    Me too!! I love scrap quilts!!

Blog Entries
    For me, nothing smaller that a 2 1/2" block or a 2" strip. I do save 1 1/2" blocks for a QB member who making postage stamp quilts for her sons. I have a bag for her now.

Blog Entries
    Cotton fabric strips are great to toss outside. The birds love it. I like to see my scraps woven in the nests. It's like quilts for the baby birds!
    Got fabric?

Neat idea! Baby bird quilts

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    Cotton fabric strips are great to toss outside. The birds love it. I like to see my scraps woven in the nests. It's like quilts for the baby birds!
    Shannon

Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    My guidelines exactly. Trust me, no matter what size you end up saving, they multiply like bunnies!
    (¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´
    ¸.•´
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´(¸.• (¸.•´¸¸.•¨¯`•.¸¸.♥ rebecca

Blog Entries
    Oh I'm LOL here. I've been working on some mini blocks again. The center crazy patch measure 1.5" finished in this little quilt. And yes they multiply like bunnies and now my quilting friends give me little ziplocs to broaden my quilt palette! Name:  crazy mini.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  734.4 KB
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Quote Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt View Post
    Any strip thinner than an inch but longer than 8 inches I give to hubby for the garden to tie up the vines... But anything bigger than that gets saved.. And put in its appropriate sterilite see thru boxes and drawers for later use .
    I also tie these little strips around our suitcase handles. I also use them on my scissors handles and on the handles of my rotary cutters. I make loops for the scissors and rotary cutters and use the loops to hang them on hooks -- and it helps mark them as mine when I am at a class.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Blog Entries
    Gladie how do you ever do such small blocks! They are so cute and the mini quilt is darling.
    Keep an open heart.. listen with your eyes.. lend a hand and life will be filled with purpose.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast