Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When is too much fabric - too much fabric? >

When is too much fabric - too much fabric?

When is too much fabric - too much fabric?

Old 03-26-2013, 07:02 AM

If there is ANY fabric that you look at and think "uugg" like you don't know what to do with it, or you arn't really excited when you look at it, get rid of it NOW! Your state of mind and space is more important than that fabric. You would be surprised at how much that stifles your creativity-getting rid of that will free you! Good luck!
Old 04-29-2013, 03:58 AM

After reading all these posts, I feel much more at ease with my "stash". I started to organize the bins, and separated the flannels into one bin. All washed and dried, they will become my donation quilts this fall. Then I put all the civil ware type fabric into a bin, and all the cw fat quarters into a blanket flat storage bin. Lots of ideas in those. I put together 2 bins of "what if's", fabric that i would use probably only use "if" the "preppers" (preparing for the end of the world as we know it) are right. It is a start, and I brought a garbage bag or 2 to the local thrift store. One little corner of the walk in attic is cleared out. I love the feeling of accomplishment. It is a start.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:32 PM

Yep, it gets overwhelming.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:28 AM

Default Binkie Patrol

I have just learned of the Binkie Patrol which makes quilts for underprivileged kids....you may consider donationing some fabric to the. I mean, come on, are you really going to make all the quilts you think you might someday?

Originally Posted by Diannia View Post
Mine is fairly organized right now except for the overflow from an estate sale. My problem is finding the time to use what I have. My quilting friend wanted me to go with her to the fabric district in LA next week but I backed out today. I can't see buying more (just to have it) when I want to use some of what I have. Sooo next Monday and Tuesday I'm taking vacation days from work and spending those 2 days sewing!

Diannia
Old 05-21-2013, 08:04 AM

I love your statement, Gannyrosie, about the Lord doesn't give us more than we can handle - fabric.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:58 AM
Power Poster

I think one has too much when it's easier when to go out and buy some more than to excavate through what one has when looking for a certain color.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I think one has too much when it's easier when to go out and buy some more than to excavate through what one has when looking for a certain color.
Now THAT is a useful benchmark, Bear!

I just helped a friend go through her MIL's crafting closet. I spent two hours sorting and assigning stuff ("Goodwill", "local craft guild", "elementary school art teacher", "for me" and "trash"), and that was only the stuff I felt somewhat qualified to judge - didn't touch the scrapbooking stuff, or the doll making stuff. There is no way my friend's MIL could possibly have known what she had where - it was all neatly put away, but there were layers behind layers, and many things duplicated...THAT is too much!

Alison
Old 05-21-2013, 11:05 AM
Power Poster

NEVER unless you have to MOVE !!!