Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When is too much fabric - too much fabric? >

When is too much fabric - too much fabric?

When is too much fabric - too much fabric?

Old 03-23-2013, 09:20 AM

Organize it and it won't be too much. Just do it a little at a time--maybe a half hour each day. You will be surprised at how quickly it becomes a manageable asset!
Old 03-23-2013, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by cricket_iscute View Post
I have a very large stash but I am retired now and not able to buy much, so I'm very happy to have it. It is my fabric IRA. I make 30 to 60 quilts per year. Many of these are given to homeless families. My girlfriend and I found a focus fabric we both loved and we are each making quilts. We are in the early stages of design. Neither of us have a big budget for fabric, so we went and raided my stash and in a few minutes, found 10 fabrics for these quilts. So even though I am sometimes overwhelmed by it, I say, thank God for my stash!
I definitely agree here and love your attitude. This is how I look at a stash....
Old 03-23-2013, 11:19 AM

Just do as I did and promise yourself to live 3 lifetimes and by then have used it all up. Well at least that is what I tell my husband.
To much stash is a sign of a great quilter. So just take a few minutes each day, separate your stash into small piles and get one small pile done a day. You'll be surprised how much you will accomplish in a short period of time. Good luck!
Old 03-23-2013, 12:06 PM
Power Poster

When your house is full and you are thought to be a hoarder......
Old 03-23-2013, 01:27 PM

I have way too much fabric in my stash. We go to thrift stores and I am amazed at what I have picked up so cheaply. I have decided to start selling my fabric as well as my quilt books. I will start with the Board and then go to Craigslist. I want a cleaner, neater room and I can't have that right now until I clean it up and ship it out !!
Old 03-23-2013, 03:40 PM

Well Sherri, you have a great idea there.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
Although, I am now only buying if I don't have the right color/pattern for an active project; I only buy what I need, and I only buy if it totally screams "BUY ME!!!!"
My biggest problem is that any fabric I love screams "BUY ME!!!!" LOL
Old 03-23-2013, 06:38 PM

I thought I had a small stash compared to the photos I have seen on the Board. But lately I seem to be a fabric magnet....people keep giving me bags and bags of fabric. Yesterday it was 6 bags and we are not talking grocery bags...these are garbage bags...and not scraps but yardage. I am going thru things and picking out what I want and can use....then the rest goes to my guild's community service and the country store for the quilt show. No, I am not complaining....just stating fact.
Also someone told me yesterday that she had a lot of yarn for me....really? I have been working diligently for over a year to make scarves for the homeless to whittle thru my leftover yarn and I have made a HUGE dent in it....until now.
But I can turn the yarn over to teachers. There are always places for fabric and yarn.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:54 PM

I keep buying bolt ends and scraps even though I have enough. Then I admire it but don't use it!! I'm making some scrappy blocks to use up some of it. I wish I had more space - I would like it to be better organized. Maybe. Good spring cleaning project, maybe.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:00 PM

My stash is quite extensive but I love looking at it but I had to stop buying everything I like a while back. Now I busy making quilts with my stash. I try to pull at least part of every quilt out of my stash and only fill in a little bit buy shopping. I love looking at my fabric so I have it all folded in the same size so it stacks neatly.