Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When is too much fabric - too much fabric? >

When is too much fabric - too much fabric?

When is too much fabric - too much fabric?

Old 03-22-2013, 10:20 AM

You never have too much fabric.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:21 AM
Power Poster

Well, I don't think there is ever too much fabric - that is unless you open your closet doors and are buried in fabric. LOL. Then it might be time to re-think your "stash". I know that organizing our fabric stash can be overwhelming. It was for me when we were downsizing from a 3 bedroom house, where I had a sewing room upstairs and downstairs - the upstairs was for winter so I wouldn't have to use the heat in the basement room. I had fabric everywhere, in closets, downstairs, mostly in totes, then when my dear Sister passed away, I inherited her "stash". It was gorilla warfare when it came time to choose what to keep and what to give away. Thankfully, I have a very dear friend who helped, but finally I told my DH that I was not going to give away any more fabric and he would have to deal with it. Since we've moved I have re-organized my "stash", taking one tote at a time, taking out all the fabric and simply refolding it and I eliminated a couple of totes. I also started quilting again, after a spinal cord injury sidelined me for a few months last year. I'm happy to say it's been a year since the surgery and I'm probably in better shape than I was when I fell and ruptured a disk in my neck last Feb. I went a little overboard making Bow Tucks bags, however, I did a craft fair and I've sold about 20 so far, so I have "mad money" to use as I wish, without any explanations. I do have been a little depressed, especially at the end of winter, but I grabbed a few quilt magazines to look at, took down a few totes from their stack, re-organized, re-folded and have decreased the number of totes. Even doing a small quilting project can lift you from the doldrums. Hope you start feeling better.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:14 AM

It helped me to know that I am not the only one feeling overwhelmed. But gee, it is so hard to sew from my stash when I have the color I want in my brain, but not in my stash. Thus, the stash expands.

I know somewhere I bought the perfect stashing for my dgd's birthday quilt. Cannot find that perfect fabric, my dh didn't like any of the other fabric in my stash for this sashing, and after 5 minutes of trying to find one he liked, he said, just go out and buy it, it is only 3 yards. I love my dh, he understands my stash is like his tool box.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:47 AM
Power Poster

For me it was when my DH told me that my sewing room smells like a quilt store. lol I have put myself on a self-imposed fabric-buying moratorium which works fine as long as I don't go into any fabric stores, don't visit quilt shows, and don't go play online. Although, I am now only buying if I don't have the right color/pattern for an active project; I only buy what I need, and I only buy if it totally screams "BUY ME!!!!"
Old 03-22-2013, 12:09 PM

Ya, Yooper, I agree. I have been organizing my fabric and found alot I had forgotten and decided athere was a lot more I needed. May I shop til I drop!!!!
Old 03-22-2013, 12:27 PM
Power Poster

I keep mine on shelfs, organized on comic boards. I have not reached the to much level yet! LOL
Old 03-22-2013, 12:34 PM

I too am asking that question of my stash of fabric. My little projects using fabric are just not keeping pace with my accumulation of fabric but I am powerless to stop it.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:15 PM

I have a very large stash but I am retired now and not able to buy much, so I'm very happy to have it. It is my fabric IRA. I make 30 to 60 quilts per year. Many of these are given to homeless families. My girlfriend and I found a focus fabric we both loved and we are each making quilts. We are in the early stages of design. Neither of us have a big budget for fabric, so we went and raided my stash and in a few minutes, found 10 fabrics for these quilts. So even though I am sometimes overwhelmed by it, I say, thank God for my stash!
Old 03-22-2013, 02:58 PM

you mean....there is such a thing as toooooo much fabric? u n b e f r e a k i n g l i e v e a b l e!!!!
Old 03-22-2013, 03:05 PM

I actually did use some shoe boxes and folded FQ sizes by color. It really did help. I was shocked. Reorganizing occasionally helps so you remember what you have. Also I have been working on blocks I made over 10 years ago to complete a project and donate!!!!!