Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When is too much fabric - too much fabric? >

When is too much fabric - too much fabric?

When is too much fabric - too much fabric?

Old 03-22-2013, 03:55 AM

I have to admit I tend to buy fabric whenever I can. I used to buy it anywhere anytime. I changed my own personal rules and it helped, for a while. Now I only buy whats on sale at my local fabric outlet, which helps until they have a buy one get two free sale, does me in every time. I have placed online orders sparingly. Im getting better but still admit Im a fabric junkie.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:00 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by nhweaver View Post
I think I have reached the "no more fabric" line in my life. There is fabric every where, waiting to be used. Every where I look, I find more. It started this weekend, when I dropped off a package for my sister (I do her clothes shopping for her, COPD has limited her stamina), and I gave her a bag of fabric instead of her new slacks. We chatted, and I left (long trip home). She texted me and asked if she has to sew her own clothing now? (hehe). I gave her a bag of navy backing fabric instead of her navy pants, but I can't find her navy pants.

I must do something to organize this stash. It has become overwhelming, but I love each and every yard, fat quarter, scrap, bit and piece. Maybe I am depressed, - weather is still cold (for DE), maybe I need to shop? I think at this point medication would be cheaper. Is anyone else at their wits end with their stash?
You are overwhelmed. I'm sorry. I get that way too. I have "too much" fabric too and not enough time to sew (I work full time and then some). Just try to organize it in small bursts so you don't get MORE overwhelmed and think Spring. You will feel better before you know it. And don't give it away, you will regret it. You'll be okay. Hang in there.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:15 AM

When my fabric (and every other aspect of my quilting room) got overwhelming I invited some of my friends over for coffee, cookies and some good old fashion folding and organizing. We had a ball and it got done a lot faster. I highly recommend it.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:34 AM

A couple of months ago I was looking at a magazine article (quilt magazine, of course) when I saw that the person demonstrating a technique was using a fabric that was twenty years old. I know because I have some that I purchased a long time ago. So you see, her stash was important to her quiltmaking. I am making quilts for my grandsons who are graduating from HS this year. I purchased some new fabric but added several pieces from my stash. I keep most of mine in plastic bins. I really think adding older fabric to new purchases adds a lot of interest to quilts. The fabric industry is always hard at work changing color styles and patterns just to get us to buy more fabric. And, we as consumers buy into their game. It is refreshing until we have to deal with the reality. I am really trying to reduce my stash. I have never seen a hearsh pulling a U-haul.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:39 AM

Maybe you need to go through your fabric and make three piles of fabric.
1. Fabric to keep
2. Fabric to sell
3. Fabric to take to the resale shop
After this organization maybe you won't feel so overwhelmed
Then make some quilts with the fabric you kept
Old 03-22-2013, 04:56 AM
Power Poster

Never happen!
Old 03-22-2013, 04:59 AM

As I posted before, the first week in April is mega marathon redo the room and organize time. I have two friends who are dedicating their week to this project. I will start this week to wrap my fabric around the 300 comic boards I recently bought. The room is sooooo bad that we are dragging everything out into the living room because I can't do a thing with all the fabric and stuff piled up. Wish me luck!
Old 03-22-2013, 05:04 AM

I have a wall hanging that says "there is no such thing as too much fabrid" ------------ and I believe it. LOL
Old 03-22-2013, 05:05 AM

ok, so I can't spell this morning.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:17 AM

Sometimes you just need to purge! I can't craft in an un organized space. And really touching and organizing can be very gratifying. I find the same thing with my stamp and paper hobbies. I try to buy more selectively now.

Originally Posted by Pieces2 View Post
Maybe you need to go through your fabric and make three piles of fabric.
1. Fabric to keep
2. Fabric to sell
3. Fabric to take to the resale shop
After this organization maybe you won't feel so overwhelmed
Then make some quilts with the fabric you kept