Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When is too much fabric - too much fabric? >

When is too much fabric - too much fabric?

When is too much fabric - too much fabric?

Old 03-22-2013, 05:39 AM

too much fabric is like too much money, there is no such thing....I have a room full and I buy it each week. Some people play golf I quilt therefore I buy.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:54 AM

Well, after pulling out a set of pretty Moda fabrics that have been sitting ("aging" lol) in my stash for a while, I strongly felt the need to USE them. I didn't buy all this fabric to sit around. I bought it to USE it. So I am! Why not LOVE the fabric in a quilt, rather than in a pile of folded fabric? Bless someone you love with the fabrics you love (whether in a quilt or just give some away)!

Also...catch an episode of Hoarders on A&E once in a while. If that doesn't inspire you to clear out stuff, I don't know what will. :/
Old 03-22-2013, 05:59 AM

When I recently realized I had more fabric than I would ever use in a lifetime, I brought it all out of the closet, lined it up and invited people from my quilting group at church to go through it. The only thing I asked was that they take whatever they would use for our projects. Now over half of it is gone, I still have more than enough for myself. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone else's creations.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:00 AM

I have an extremely large stash. I was getting a little overwhelmed by it and then my husbands and my business hit a snag and things have slowed down dramatically. I can't tell you how grateful I am for having it now. I quilt to relieve stress and there has been quite a bit of stress here lately. I feel extemely blessed to have all that fabric now. I have found that it has made me more creative in my use of fabrics since I can't just go out and buy something to complete a quilt. Just look at it this way, when you buy too much fabric, maybe you're just planning for the future! LOL
Old 03-22-2013, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt View Post
I recommend picking some cool patterns and making a kit. Then throw the book/magazine with page marked right In the bag. Change your perception from "overwhelmed" to blessed to have so much and welcome the challenge to use the fabric.
I too am going on a fabric diet unless it is something I need for a project I am working on. I have been trying to make up some kits from stash and have already put 6 into boxes and labeled them and on about 3 of them I have done the cutting. Working on getting my stash wrapped and put out so I can see it!!!
Old 03-22-2013, 06:28 AM

I think I have been stashing incorrectly!! After reading this board for a few weeks, I have definitely learned a lot.
My scrap bag is full of really small odds and ends and I keep all other material together, folded neatly and stacked by color in a cabinet....so far so good! But I now think that a lot of my "stash" pieces truly belong in the scrap bag to be used in a scrap quilt. These pieces are not big enough to be a power player in a quilt. So I have decided my immediate project will be to pull out these pieces and do a few scrap quilts. Maybe my stash will not seem so overwhelming to me. I also have lots of great Theme pieces but not much to go along with them. Hummm, maybe a need to do some shopping!
Old 03-22-2013, 06:35 AM

when it takes so much time to find the fabric you need for a project in your stash that even tho you know you have it, you go out and buy it
Old 03-22-2013, 07:36 AM

OOOhh!!! This is me also. Too much. My good intentions on using it up as I bought it,
somehow, escaped me. I am going to try and part with some it. Once I decide which are
the UGLY pieces. Gonna take a while, I'm sure.

Obie
Old 03-22-2013, 07:52 AM

If you're feeling overwhelmed perhaps you need to either jump right into that stash and challenge yourself to make something beautiful out of what you have. Pickup one of McCalls Scrappy magazines and take it from there. Or, perhaps you need to close the door to your sewing area for a week or more and stay completely away.

I started making controlled scrappies around Thanksgiving. In September I did a full clean out and inventory of my st ash and found I had more fabric than I could remember buying. In reading some of the QB posts, believe my stash is still relatively small compared to most.

When I first started sewing these scrappies, it was hard for me to cut into a yard of fabric (its too pretty to use.....what if I need a full yard or more later, etc., etc.). So there can sit all this beautiful fabric I just had to have. Bottom line is that it does nogood just to sit there being squirreled away for "what if" situations. Use it, enjoy it and make room for additional fabric at some point. I think these scrappies have turned into much richer, more satisfying quilts than something I had planned and bought fabric specifically for.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:04 AM

If I answer with my head not my heart, I would say when you have more than you can effectively organize. Everytime I go into my stash it looks like there's been an explosion. With my heart, never enough. I joined the fabric moratorium on this board and its helped me cut back on purchasing but those sales are still a temptation. No I won't stop looking at the ads and garage sale season is just around the corner so I see more in my future.