Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When is too much fabric - too much fabric? >

When is too much fabric - too much fabric?

When is too much fabric - too much fabric?

Old 03-21-2013, 04:02 PM

I've only just started so don't have nearly as much as any of you ladies do, but this week alone I've bought 17 yards of fabric...oh dear. You should see my cross stitching stuff :blush:
Old 03-21-2013, 04:07 PM

Mine was too much last week. But this week, I came to my senses and realized that I truly need more - not.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:33 PM

I have a pretty decent stash and love to fabric shop but I have been trying to use from my stash, I find it very gratifying doing a whole quilt top from what I already have. I usually do purchase backing fabric.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:56 PM

I think we have all "been there, done that, have the tee shirt!!!" Now have a double garage, upstairs, family room, bookcases and on and on and on. But when I want a certain little piece of fabric in the middle of the night, I don't have to stop quilting because the stores are closed. Just go look around. Take a deep breath and look again tomorrow
Old 03-21-2013, 05:09 PM

I have quite a stash. About 20% is just sitting there and not my current style. I'll just box it up and have 4 shelves empty. So I think I need that much more to fill up my shelves and feed my current style. Do you think DH will go for that logic?
Old 03-21-2013, 05:16 PM
QM
Power Poster

If I don't want to spend, I don't open fabric site emails. I have my fabrics organized, more or less. TOO MUCH s when you are not comfortable with what you have. that spawns feeling of needless guilt. a few years ago I felt that I was drowning in fabric. When I went through several boxes of scraps, trimming to useful shapes and making 3 large scrappy quilts, I suddenly had a whole lot less. I also got rid of cheap fabric that I had been given and realized I would never use.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:34 PM

I recommend picking some cool patterns and making a kit. Then throw the book/magazine with page marked right In the bag. Change your perception from "overwhelmed" to blessed to have so much and welcome the challenge to use the fabric.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:44 PM

At the present time I'm not buying any fabric unless it is to finish a specific project that is currently being worked on. That said, a friend and I will be going on a shop hop starting April 5. It will involve going to quilt shops I only visit every couple of years so don't know what will happen then!
Old 03-22-2013, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by nhweaver View Post
I think I have reached the "no more fabric" line in my life. There is fabric every where, waiting to be used. Every where I look, I find more. It started this weekend, when I dropped off a package for my sister (I do her clothes shopping for her, COPD has limited her stamina), and I gave her a bag of fabric instead of her new slacks. We chatted, and I left (long trip home). She texted me and asked if she has to sew her own clothing now? (hehe). I gave her a bag of navy backing fabric instead of her navy pants, but I can't find her navy pants.

I must do something to organize this stash. It has become overwhelming, but I love each and every yard, fat quarter, scrap, bit and piece. Maybe I am depressed, - weather is still cold (for DE), maybe I need to shop? I think at this point medication would be cheaper. Is anyone else at their wits end with their stash?
There is no such thing as TOO MUCH when it comes to fabric!!
Old 03-22-2013, 03:19 AM

When it is up to your nostrils and fluttering madly with each breath.