Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • When will you throw a "usable size" piece of fabric in the trash? >
  • When will you throw a "usable size" piece of fabric in the trash?

• When will you throw a "usable size" piece of fabric in the trash?

Old 06-22-2019, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    Who checks every trash bin for these? Are they picked up by manually and each one gone through?
    I don't know how often they are checked and by who or how, but you do see the orange refusal tags stuck on the yard waste cans pretty regularly. I think that's mostly trash in the recycle, and not recycle in the trash. It can also be over-weight or otherwise non-compliant.

The funny thing (to me) is that although I seriously have a list of rules two pages long I'm sent each year, if I lived in the apartments just down the way I wouldn't have to do most of the things. Wouldn't even have to separate out my cans much less wash them.
    Old 06-22-2019, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by zozee
    1. When i find it somewhere on the floor under furniture, too dusty to use or give away.
    2. When it’s gotten on my last nerve just looking at it.
    #2 of Zozee’s post
    Sometimes a piece of fabric will end up in a couple of quilts and by the time it gets to about the 2nd or 3rd scrappy quilt I get tired of seeing it so I put it in a pile to toss or donate.
    Old 06-22-2019, 03:26 AM

It all depends on what we call scraps. There are the pieces that are trimmed off to square up yardage--that goes in the wastebasket. Then there are the short ends of binding strips, etc. Those get folded and put with the yardage that is left over. Sometimes I need just a short piece to put into another project and I recognize it better with that "larger" piece. If it falls out, not picked up and has become a dust bunny collector, it goes in the wastebasket, too!
    Old 06-22-2019, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by mmunchkins
    csstexas, I would worry that if the clothesline basket contains actual clothes that are wet, the bleeder fabric might bleed onto the clothes.
    Clothesline baskets are not actual baskets to hold clean or dirty clothing. They are made from clothesline rope and are covered in fabric. Fabric scraps are wrapped onto the rope and sewn together row by row. I have made some, fun and really cute.
    Old 06-22-2019, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle
    I would never throw any fabric larger than an inch in the trash. If I don't want to use I would donate it. Someone would be thrilled to get it.
    My kind of person. I've made at least four quilts out of such stuff. Just sew all those little bitty pieces together and you have beautiful squares of every color under the rainbow. Then put the squares together with sashing and it's beautiful
    Old 06-22-2019, 05:14 AM

I do have a stack of fabrics that have polyester in them that feel nice and are pretty. I am in a bit of a quandary about what to do with them.

Bear: find a small box, label it "polyester" and put all those pretty pieces into it. When you think you have got most of them, make a quilt. To donate if you wish. Try to use it all up, and if there is anything left, put it on the back. It will make you feel good when it's gone and someone else can be warm with it.
    Old 06-22-2019, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom
    I don't throw fabric in the trash. I give away scraps I know I won't use, and what I call 'trimmings' (the edges one cuts away when straightening fabric for cutting) I put in a pillowcase and when full, sew it shut and DH takes it to our favorite animal shelter.
    I do the same, nothing goes into the trash, it all gets used in some manner. So very easy to make the pet beds for the animal shelters.
    Old 06-22-2019, 06:52 AM

I have a quilt store nearby that has workshops for making dog beds for an animal shelter. I don't really toss any fabric I donate it.
    Old 06-22-2019, 09:44 AM

I have tossed fabric that did not feel like cotton. If I have a blend, I put it on the "free" table at our local "lock-in" where it is available for everyone there to touch and feel it. The next day I make a trip to Goodwill with everything left on the "free" table. In case you are wondering our "lock-in" starts on Friday at 3:00 p.m. and ends at 7:00 a.m. on Saturday.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-22-2019 at 11:39 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Old 06-22-2019, 01:32 PM

Never! If I can't use it, which is rare indeed, I will donate it to the thrift store. If it's a "problem" fabric that I can't fix, then I would put it in the bag of unusable scraps for bundling and recycling. For me that's the tiny pieces less than 1" x 3".