Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When you buy fabric!  How much do you buy?  (Enjoy!) >

When you buy fabric! How much do you buy? (Enjoy!)

When you buy fabric! How much do you buy? (Enjoy!)

Old 06-20-2010, 07:14 AM

I forgot to add, I try to buy neutrals in larger quantities because I use them for backgrounds in applique blocks. I usually buy 3 or 4 yards if the price is right.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:37 PM

I have been quilting off and on for over 20 years. Just for my family and self for gifts. My aunt-in-law taught me how to do one quilt and I was hooked. I love it.

I am new to the board and so far I love it. Very interesting and informative.

I have found lately that if I buy about 1/2 to 1 yard of materials that is enough; if I really like something I will buy 2-3 yards. My best is going to Joann's and buying with the 40% and 50% coupons for one cut; then I buy about 6 yards if it is something I know I will use and really like it. That is a bargain. I love getting a bargain.

I started making my own jelly rolls yesterday and it is fun. Fat quarters are not too good for me unless it is something I really like. I tend not to use them much.

I love having a stash; that way I am sure to have enought to at least get me started on something and I can always fill in with more to go with that.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:08 AM

Wow!!!!!! I would just love to have 2000.00 a month to spend on anything. I would start with a new sewing machine.

You go girl.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:12 PM

I could use 2000. a month!
Old 06-21-2010, 01:38 PM

I know that seems like alot...but that is only approx 300yds
and if I make say a large queen log cabin it uses over 7 1/2yds just for the top then 6yds for the backing
and then fiqure in batting cost
so if you average $7/yd for 14 yds fabric + batting+ $15(thread,pins,rotary blades,patterns etc)= $143
so really this only makes approx 20 quilts
This is a very expensive hobby!
Old 06-21-2010, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
usually 3 to 5 yards, Kona black by the bolt

only buy FQs if it's a 'to die for' batik and the shop doesn't have yardage, never buy FQs online, and never buy any other precuts (I find cutting fabric very relaxing :oops: )

I am still learning all about quilting, but I agree, cutting fabric is relaxing! I really enjoy it. Also, my mom bought me some FQs online and they were advertised as "BRIGHT".. not so much though! I think that I will stick to buying fabric at the store.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:27 PM

I buy fabric if I like it, often without a pattern in mind. Because of this, I buy 2 - 3 yards of it. I also buy fat quarters, jelly rolls, 5-inch squares. I haven't used them all yet, though!
Old 06-21-2010, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by mlaceruby
I know that seems like alot...but that is only approx 300yds
and if I make say a large queen log cabin it uses over 7 1/2yds just for the top then 6yds for the backing
and then fiqure in batting cost
so if you average $7/yd for 14 yds fabric + batting+ $15(thread,pins,rotary blades,patterns etc)= $143
so really this only makes approx 20 quilts
This is a very expensive hobby!
So, I'm intrigued by this. Are you saying that you and a group of others have formed a co-op, where you exchange fabrics that you can purchase at the wholesale rate? Maybe it seems obvious, but I'm trying to make sure I understand what you're saying. It sounds as if you are making a business of this co-op. I can see that the amount of fabric you're talking about "only" makes approximately 20 quilts. How many quilts do you make? In two years of quilting, I think I've made 22, and many of those were small wall-hangings. As much as I love quilting, and as much as I love shopping for fabric, I honestly believe I'd have difficulty spending $2,000 per month on fabric. There must be more here than meets the eye.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:21 PM

I have decided that I willpost about the co-op on my blog.
but to easily explain: I had a business a few years ago and still maintain my business ID as I do a few craft shows a year. I offer the members of a yahoo group to which I belong the opportunity to buy fabric at my wholesale price.
This helps me out because you need to place minimum orders and they help me meet them.
I sell my quilts,quilt kits etc but not enough to make it more than a hobby!
I cut approx 40 queen size quilts a month, some I finish and quilt others are kits or just quilt tops
hope this makes more sense
Old 06-21-2010, 06:14 PM
Bev

My shopping needs/wants have changed over the years. I don't shop as much as I used to because my stash is fairly large. I try to use it as much as possible. But when I go to a show, as I just did in Columbus, I tend to go a little wild. I bought fabrics in 3 to 4 yard lengths just because I loved it. I also bought some very pretty FQs because they were just $1.25 each. My FQ purchases have slowed a lot lately. I also had a list of fabric I needed to go with others for particular projects, so I bought according to how much I needed. But I probably won't do this again for another year or more. 8-)