Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where are the 108" wide fabrics in JoAnn's?

Where are the 108" wide fabrics in JoAnn's?

Made a quick stop at JoAnn's last night and did not take the time to ask, but where in your store do they keep these wide fabrics? THX

Blog Entries
    In my local Joann's, the wide fabrics are located with the muslin fabrics.

Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    Does your Jo Ann's have a section for quilter's quality fabrics? We have just a small Jo Ann's here but I often go up to the one in the closest big city to us, a Jo Ann's Etc., and both keep their backing fabrics by the quilter's cottons. They are usually more expensive, like $16 a yard, and kept in a separate area from the calico wall.
    Valerie Smith - pumpkinpatchquilter
    Obsessed Quilter and APQS Long Arm Machine Quilter
    www.pumpkinpatchquilter.com

same here. With the broad cloths and muslins.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

In my Joanns they are with the muslins and are on the very top shelf and they only have 3 or 4 bolts, none of it very pretty. When I bought the piece I bought, It was cut so badly that I lost over a foot of fabric. They wouldn't take it back since I had washed it.

In my Joanns they are tucked away among other fabrics...you have to ask. And by the way they only have 3 choices all the same pattern just different colors. You would do better getting on line and finding other vendors.

Wow Karen - Consider writing their home office and raise a major stink. A foot off is horrible to not get some compensation out of it. I am very careful when i buy from JoAnn's anymore because they are more concerned about not giving up one single extra inch of fabric instead of making sure it's straight. I always buy an extra 1/8 to 1/4 yd to make sure, but that would not have even been enough.
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

Look online...there are some reasonable prices too...I can't remember who I was just looking at..Connecting Threads maybe or....someone on here will know.

Banned
    This just supports my aggrivation at cutting wide backing. You can't just cut it off as the double/double fold does not keep it straight. So when you buy wide backing rom any store make sure they refold and cut it so you have a minimum loss. I agrue with my local store all the time as I usually loose 6" on one end and another 6 on the other. they usually say "we add extra for this" but it never happens. So be sure it is cut corectly. I usualy as that they tare the fabric to make sure I get ehat I pay for.

My JoAnns has very very few wide backings( 3 or 4 that are colored prints)... and it seems they are always changing the location.. I have to ask every time. The only exception is the wide muslin.. its usually with the other muslin... notice I said usually.

Ours has some in ugly colors except the white on white pattern. I was in a hurry a few days ago so I went there and got the wide white backing. Very poor quality fabric and just as expensive as LQS.

Blog Entries
    My Joanns had about 6 or 8 different colors but none matched what I needed. I check on FatBacks a lot for basic colors or even Ebay has a lot of wide backings.

well i guess that explains the mess they made of my wide muslin i bought last time then it looked like someone drunk had cut it and i really didnt notice that at the store just when i got home and started using it but i always buy extra anyway so it wasnt a big deal but wow what if i hadnt. sometimes i cut wrong so unless a fabric is just really expensive i always get extra and then i just have some let for my stash.
    carla

Blog Entries
    I am glad that my local chain store offers to tear wider fabrics. At least I know it is on the straight grain.

I have also had the staff check the cut end to make sure it is straight, before cutting my yardage.

Years ago I bought a woven plaid, no excuse at all for being off grain when you have a line to follow. The cut end of the fabric was 12 inches off. This was at Walmart and the cutter had to come from the shoe department. She was not a sewer, but when I pointed out how off the cut was, she measured from the short edge.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

It changes in my Joann's store also and I agree with others the selection is very bad and the quality is not very good.
    "BIG SKY COUNTRY"

I just bought some beautiful backing fabric from 5bucksayard.com. It's Northern Lights Southern Skies by Thimbleberries. It was on sale for 9.99 a yard and it's really beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by 117becca View Post
    Wow Karen - Consider writing their home office and raise a major stink. A foot off is horrible to not get some compensation out of it. I am very careful when i buy from JoAnn's anymore because they are more concerned about not giving up one single extra inch of fabric instead of making sure it's straight. I always buy an extra 1/8 to 1/4 yd to make sure, but that would not have even been enough.
    You're right, I should. But I'm not very good at that. I just put it in my stash and I will use it for charity quilts. It's really not even very pretty.

I hope the big shots at Joann's read this thread. Maybe the situation will change.

Power Poster
    in our joanns it in with the muslin
    QUILTNMO

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by karenpatrick View Post
    I hope the big shots at Joann's read this thread. Maybe the situation will change.
    Don't hold your breath

Blog Entries
    I never get backing at Joann's anymore, I wasn't happy with the quality. I buy most of mine online. Recently found Backside Fabrics www.backsidefabrics.com - All they sell is wide backing and they have some lovely choices!

At Lolly's in Shipshewana, IN they tear the wide fabric to make sure it's straight. Wish they all did that.

Yes they are expensive, but remember they are 108" wide or wider. If you buy 3.5 yards of the backing fabric, you will pay roughly 56.00, and if you buy 5.5 yards of regular width fabric at 12.00 a yard, you will pay roughly 60.00. There's not much difference and you don't have to seam the wide backing fabric. Check out Connecting Threads backing fabrics also.

Blog Entries
    I just ask at the cutting table and they point me to them.

I just bought some beautiful backing fabrics from thousandsofbolts.com and marshalldrygoods.com -- and their prices were very reasonable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast