Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where do you keep your ironed fabric while you are cutting? >

Where do you keep your ironed fabric while you are cutting?

Where do you keep your ironed fabric while you are cutting?

Old 03-18-2014, 04:11 AM

I will iron one piece then cut. My sewing room is small so am limited on space.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:36 AM

I just iron everything and just lay it at the end of my cutting table.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:11 AM

I iron and cut as well, but if you want to iron and drape, how about using a clothes rack used for drying clothes. I have always had one to hang my skivvies on because I don't put them in the dryer. I have a nice metal one I got at Bed Bath and Beyond, much studier than the old wooden ones I have had in the past.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:13 AM

....under the cat usually...
Old 03-19-2014, 04:17 AM

I iron and cut as I go for variety. If I cut out a whole quilt at one time I'd go crazy and probably never quilt again. I have a drying rack that folds up when not in use that I use when I starch. I just never have that much starched or ironed at one time to worry about where I'm going to put it. As far as the fabric that I'm using for a quilt that is usually folded and stacked in a pile where I can see it while I'm making the quilt. I rarely buy fabric for a quilt at one time so it takes me a while to audition fabric from my collection and being able to see fabric from a distance over time helps me get what I want. Once a section is either cut or sewn it goes on a design wall or laid flat in a box until I'm ready to assemble the whole project. I never cut my borders or binding ahead of time and often don't even know what fabric I'll use for them until the end soo knowing where to put them isn't an issue.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:46 AM
Power Poster

I usually don't have to iron fabrics. I fold them over a ruler and find they don't wrinkle. If they are wrinkled I may have to press the folds. I trim if they need it.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:23 AM

Depending on the size of the fabric I use pants hangers, the ones with the clips/clamps to hang the ironed fabric.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:33 AM
dd

I use those pants hangers too. I have a hook over the door that I hang the hangers on. I actually have 2 hooks and will hang a partially finished quilt from 2 hangers on both hooks. Depends on how many different fabrics I'm using as to whether I iron them all or iron and cut.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:37 AM

If I would have that much, I would only iron what I planned to use, plus a bit more. So if was going to need 2 ydr pieces, I would press about 2 1/2 yd and cut. Then press again as I need it. And I don't press fabric as it comes out of the drier, just before I use it. Sometimes this helps me to know which fabric is prewashed, but even if I pressed it right out of the drier, I ALWAYS have to re press it, so I just don't waste my time.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:34 AM

I press whatever I think I'm going to need for the project, fold and put it on the kitchen cabinet, which is near the kitchen table where I have put my cutting mat. As the strips-pieces are cut, I lay them on one of the kitchen chairs. When it is all done, it all goes into a clear zipper bag and into my dog room/office/sewing room, where it slips and slides around until I get it all sewed together. froggyintexas