Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where do you park your Long-arm machine?

Where do you park your Long-arm machine?

The time has finally come to get one of these lovelies. However, I'm wondering where its going to live. I know room is required. That being said where is your long arm machine. Just curious.
    SEW MUCH FUN!

Mine is in the finished basement.

Blog Entries
    I have a family room and a living room. Mine lives in my living room.

When considering where to put your longarm, get actual measurements of the space you will be needing (not just the frame) from your dealer and/or friends who have the same machine, and make a masking tape outline with those measurements in your space. This will help you visualize it.

I have a family room in my basement that is my sewing room, and off that room was a workshop that I gutted so my long arm is in there with the perfect amount of room. I would not have bought my home if it didn’t have room for my baby. I have a HQ Fusion on a 12ft Gallery frame.
    Lisa

Mine is in the basement. The only other place it could fit would have been the living room. Hubby refused to sacrifice the living room. Also, before you buy, take measurements on any parts that can't be broken down into smaller parts, like the table across the back. Make a cardboard mock up of it and see if you can get it into the space you want it without bending the cardboard. Those tables and rods don't bend around corners. And your ceiling height may not be enough to stand them on end to get them around a corner. Even though I did all that, the seller forgot to tell me there were welded metal table bracket supports underneath the table, making the table a certain thickness. Because I didn't take the thickness into account, the real thing couldn't get into the basement the way the cardboard mock up did, and it laid out in the back yard overnight while we figured out a new way to get it inside (we had to remove a window in the basement)!

I have a small bedroom upstairs that I sacrificed for my LA, unfortunately the largest size table I could fit in the room is a 10ft. We had to bring the rollers in through the window. The LA pretty much takes up the entire room so I use my guest bedroom as my sewing room for my cutting table, domestic machine in it's own table and my ironing board.
    The domestic gets recessed down into its table when I have guests.

Quote Originally Posted by intoquilting View Post
    Mine is in the finished basement.
    Mine is too.

When I first bought it, I had a living room and family room downstairs and a huge loft upstairs. The loft would have been the perfect place for the longarm, but that is where DH and I spent our evenings watching TV, so the longarm went into the downstairs family room instead. The rest of my quilting was in a huge upstairs bedroom. When I moved to this house, I put the longarm and most of the rest of the quilting in a bonus room that sits above the garage. It's more convenient having everything in one place. Well almost everything - I have machines scattered all around the house and sometimes do some sewing downstairs.

Mine is in the living room, which was sitting empty in this house. We never used it and as I was vacuuming the room one day it occurred to me I could use it for my sewing space instead of always putting things away.... that was about 12 years ago, and now the room is filled with sewing stuff including my longarm...
    A husband is the perfect confidant to tell your secrets to - he can't reveal them to anyone else because he wasn't really listening when you told him!

Blog Entries
    Mine took over the dining room.

Gay
    Blog Entries
    I park mine in the garage, of course - where everything else sewable and crafty is housed.

We built a room on the back of our house, 65'x20', it was to be my mom's room but she change her mind so I now have a space for my LA and our parrot.

Blog Entries
    At a friend's house!

Quote Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
    My sewing room is the biggest room in the house.

Cari
    You really didn't need the rest of that now, did you? And it's good to see someone with their priorities straight, lol.

Oh this is fun to read. Thanks for sharing. I'll let you know where mine will be.
    SEW MUCH FUN!

Along with everything (almost) else, in it's own 18 X 30 building.

Blog Entries
    Mine is front and center in the living room.

Blog Entries
    How exciting for you Rhonda...I had to wait two years or more for mine. We dormered out over our two car garage and built a nice sunny room for my sewing studio. Name:  5F7D44E1-2623-483F-BF50-B1C0DF867A95.jpeg
Views: 907
Size:  98.1 KB
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Mine is in 1/2 of the basement, the colder side. Wished I'd thought ahead of time of having the basement floor leveled when I'd 1st bought this old house. Didn't realize just how unleve it was till we opened up another doorway on the opposite end. Nearly 3 inches difference plus on the other end it was so rocky (unlevel) like they just dumped some concrete on the floor. This house was built in 1900 and I'm thinking there had been an addition put in some time so instead of smoothing out the floor on the addtion they just dumped the concrete to fill it in. Have the frame at the highest point on the levelers plus added a couple of those sliders under it to raise it up. Its just barely level. And yes, its too late to level the floor now with all that's in that room now. The other side is carpeted with indoor/outdoor carpet, cutting table, PC armoire that takes 3 men to move, etc. Next life I'll know what to do.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Mine is out on the three season sun porch. The sun porch can be used all year round but was an add on to the house and isn't insulated correctly so it does get cold out there in the winter. In the winter I bring just my machine inside. I'd love to have a super large room where all my sewing items could be kept and I could set up all 3 sewing machine and have my quilting machine in one spot. I'd be in quilters heaven then!

Mine is in the family room with the TV. The family room was the only room in the house with a long enough wall. We built a design wall and a rod for hanging quilts behind it. I have the HandiQuilter Avante'.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Annette in Utah

Tin Lizzie is in my finished garage -- clean floor, book cases and lots of shelves. It works!

Mine is in half of the Machine Shed.

This is the other half - and why we call it the "machine shed"

My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Thank you so much for sharing. Love your answers!
    SEW MUCH FUN!

Macybaby, this such a cool area! I love your "machine shed". I haven't seen so many machines in one shed before!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast