Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where do you sew/quilt? >

Where do you sew/quilt?

Where do you sew/quilt?

Old 08-18-2011, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by jitkaau
I have a very small,one bedroom flat.The whole lot is utilised:I sew in the lounge room, cut in the bedroom and iron in the bathroom.It suits me.Some people were upset about the sewing being everywhere.They don't visit any more and who cares?
Good Attitude...its your space and do what you like...
Old 08-18-2011, 04:08 AM

I had my very own sewing room. Then.....my son came back home from college and I am still trying to figure out where I can put my stash, machines, wip, ufo's...etc. Still crying about losing my space but love my son. :)
Old 08-18-2011, 04:11 AM
Power Poster

I have taken over the last 6 feet of the living room. My little space is behind the couch. I have a cutting table, bookshelves and my machine. I have to set up the ironing board and take it down but otherwise my machine can stay out. I spend most of my time when I am home in the living room. My machine is quiet so it doesn't disturb my husband if he is watching TV.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:14 AM

The whole house!!! Well NOT the bathroom LOL

So sorry to hear about your strife. Times are hard right now for lots of people. We retirees are struggling also. I am lucky to have a sewing studio in the basement, but since the dogs don't go down the stairs I have a machine set up in my little office. My Rottie had ACL surgery last winter so I started sewing in the kitchen so he wouldn't have to be alone. Now I just keep one machine and a few supplies in baskets in the spare room that I can get out. Get some decorative baskets to put stuff in and then "stuff" a closet with your overflow. We all do that. :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol:

I have a spare bedroom that is mine. It's mt sewing/sitting room and has my sewing things, TV, computer and small sofa. I spend most of my day there doing one thing or another.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:16 AM

Some day . . . as dreams go, everything will be in one building. For now, however, I'm all over the house. A former guest room is my primary sewing area, cutting table and stash walls. There is a futon, so I can still put up a guest or two. A small, unused, kitchen is what I call the sewing annex. In there I have the cupboards all filled with dress fabrics, felt, wool, flannel and fleece, and 4 sewing stations using vintage machines. Batting is pilled by sizes in 3 corners, and plastic drawers contain supplies for needle felting, embroidery, punch needle, purse handles, and similar miscellaneous minutia. Baskets contain patterns and up-cycled cereal boxes and bins hold skeins of yarn. This is the classroom. Downstairs in my home office, is the long arm and another machine. I hand sew in the living room. In the solarium, are the craft supplies, screen printing, light boxes, treadle machines, and work space for a small group of kids. It is also the cat room, so I can't leave projects lying about. My kitchen has 6 vintage machines, in cabinets. A new (for us) 4-H center is being readied, and most of the vintage machines in both kitchens and a few in the solarium, will move to the new location. (I can hardly wait!) In the basement, I have about 25 portable machines, of various ages, which are part of our loaner program, or the ones I pack up to take on the road for classes. I've been storing "stuff" for 4-H for over 15 years. I wonder how much I can get into their new building so I can reclaim my space.

In the camper, I work on the dinning table. I usually make kits at home, so that I won't have to do much with large amounts of fabric in the camper, though I do keep a large cutting mat behind the dinning bench. A portfolio case holds rulers and pressing boards. Two small kits contain every thing else - FW, cutting tools, measuring tape, masking tape, travel iron, folded design wall, thread assortment a few basic books, etc. I tuck new stash under the foldout sofa if I buy on the road.

Changes are anticipated by next summer. My student will move on to either a job or graduate school, tons of "stuff" will be at the new 4-H center and I'll have space to play with - but still want an all-in-one studio. Ah, the play space of my mind.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:22 AM

I sew in my bedroom. I have a table beside my bed with a lamp and my sewing machine on it. I also have a small cutting table across the room in front of my window. Works out great for me. I also store miy fabric under my bed in a plastic under the bed storage container. Might need another one soon though. It's pretty full.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:40 AM

Spare bedroom
Old 08-18-2011, 04:51 AM

I set up a room in the basement. Told DH if his "workshop" could take over half the basement, I get the other half.
He was great about putting up drywall between his mess and my area. Easy to see pins, etc on the basement floor and I can spread out and not have to clean up every day.