Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where do you spray baste? >

Where do you spray baste?

Where do you spray baste?

Old 10-04-2013, 06:52 PM

I only spray baste small quilts and applique work so I just cover my dining roon table table with a sheet and spray away. I wish I had space for a dedicated sewing room but since I don't, I'm just thankful for the space I do have.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:11 AM

So do I not need to tape down the backing fabric?! I use blue painters tape to gently stretch the backing, then spray the batting and smooth it onto the backing, then spray the back of the quilt top and smooth it onto the batting. But if I really don't need to tape the backing down, I could use the kitchen island! Thoughts? Thanks!
Old 10-05-2013, 05:30 AM
KR

GENTLY stretching and taping down the backing fabric really helps keep it from puckering. I lay batting on top, smooth out, fold back about half and spray the backing lightly. Point the nozzle toward the fold to minimize overspray. Hand press batt back down, smooth out, and do the same for the other half. Repeat for quilt top. I still use pins, especially around the outside edges....just insurance that the sandwich doesn't shift. If the quilt is larger than your table, use extra large binder clips to hold backing to the table surface and sandwich in sections. Look for a how-to video on YouTube.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter qld View Post
I use my patio table and work in sections. I allso only pray between the backing and batting. I never use it between the top and batting. Seems to work well.Hot and dry here in Australia. Summer is here.
LOL I also pray a lot over my quilts! Gotta love those typos.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:23 AM

Wherever I can open a window and clean up the residue from the spray. You would be surprised how far it can spread.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:11 AM

I use a wall paper table outside for spray glueing.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:39 AM

Honestly, I spray on my bed in bedroom. I have a California King and I've been able to do every size quilt that I make. Though, I do use my Joann's cutting table for small sizes. I remove the pillows and cover with a very thick cover, like a moving blanket type of thing and then I cover that with an old thick sheet and tuck in so that every area is covered and protected. I think lay my backing out and very gently and ever so slightly stretch it out and secure it with T-pins. I spray close to the fabric so I have not had any issues with overspray at all.

If it is a calm day I open the window. I use 505 exclusively and I do not find it as fumey as some of the other brands.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:14 AM

I'm a floor crawler too. I have 12" tiles in my breakfast room. So I just stretch it across there and square up to the tiles. It is hard on the knees. I tape the back to the floor, spray, spread the batt, spray, spread the top, pin. But, I did hear of someone using two insulation foam boards to spray on. The person who mentioned this used the boards also for a design wall with the back of a flannel tablecloth on it for sticky. The spray baste, helps the vinyl stay smooth. She took the cloth off, sprayed and then reattached. Next time I am going to try that.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:30 AM

I have a ping pong table set up out side I use to spray bastee my quilts, it folds in half when I am done using it and have a plastic cover to keep it out of the rain. really love having something I can use for spray basting my quilts!
Old 10-05-2013, 09:01 AM

Outside. I do it on the patio floor, but could easily move a couple of folding tables outside to do it as well.

Outside is best for me because I know I'll have adequate ventilation and the spray baste doesn't stick to anything that I wouldn't want it sticking to.

Ping pong table would work well.

By the way, the spray basting is the easy part. It's the 30 minutes of taping, straightening, while crawling on the floor that kills me.