Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where do you spray baste? >

Where do you spray baste?

Where do you spray baste?

Old 10-06-2013, 12:40 PM

I don't spray baste but use washable school glue for basting that way I don't have to worry about over spray, fumes, ventilation. I use a table and do it in sections. I lay the quilt bat down, put glue on it and then lay the backing over it smoothing it as I go. When that's dry I flip it over the repeat for the quilt top. Works great.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:18 PM

On my king size bed. I have an old flannel sheet that I cover everything with and the flannel keeps everything from shifting around. Tried outside on the spa cover but the slightest breeze caused havoc.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:13 PM

Last time I spray basted, I used a wall. It started with a plastic back flannel tablecloth. Then each layer is pinned and sprayed. It is the best, best way I have ever found to baste a quilt. My new sewing room will have a blank wall just for this purpose. I just finished basting a lap quilt but I used Elmer's school glue and a table. We just moved and we no longer have a blank wall space. Anyone else use a wall to baste a quilt?
Old 10-06-2013, 08:26 PM

Sorry everyone I didn't read all the posts until after I posted. I see others use a wall as well. It sure saves your knees!!
Old 10-07-2013, 12:36 AM

Our church has large tables in the life center, and are available to members when not in use. I don't do basting on large quilts as the long armer gets mine now. But, you might check and see if a church has tables for use in off-hours. Off-hours in our church are for the most part, before 3:00. Mariah.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:23 AM
Power Poster

When I use to spray baste I did it outside. I used 2 or more 6 ft folding tables that fold in the middle. So easy to store and carry. Now I glue baste with Elmers washable glue and use the tables for that inside.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:43 AM

Default Spray basting on the wall

Originally Posted by jillmc View Post
I love the ease of spray basting smaller quilts. After crawling on the concrete basement floor for 30 minutes, taping down the backing, I realize there MUST be a better way! Would a ping pong table work? I see used ping pong tables on craigslist priced very reasonably....
See Patsy Thompson's videos on YouTube. She explains in great detail how to spray baste quilts on the wall.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UoUzK19Vww
Old 10-07-2013, 08:57 AM

I do mine indoors on my cutting table with 505 with a drop cloth draped over it... although I do have a few partial cans of the smelly stuff that I use outside on 6 foot folding tables. I should probably use those up before the snow flies!
Old 10-08-2013, 01:51 PM

I use the insulation foam also because if it is nice I can take it out on the porch very easily and no fumes in the house. I also use it as a design board and 2 sheets make it 8' wide . I only runs about $10 and can even be stored under a bed or many other places. (I keep mine behind the patio curtin)
Old 10-09-2013, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter View Post
I don't spray baste but use washable school glue for basting that way I don't have to worry about over spray, fumes, ventilation. I use a table and do it in sections. I lay the quilt bat down, put glue on it and then lay the backing over it smoothing it as I go. When that's dry I flip it over the repeat for the quilt top. Works great.

Me too - and it sure is a lot less expensive than spray baste. Gotta love Elmers.