Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
where to find a pattern like this? >

where to find a pattern like this?

where to find a pattern like this?

Old 07-14-2018, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
The block is a Quarter log cabin block and can be made easily with 2.5 inch strips. Color placement is everything to create the 3D effect.

The following measurements are the cut strip measurements. For this block, you want 4 colored parts, starting with red in the center, then a lighter color, then a medium color, then black. Then add a 2.5" square all the way around the block, making your block that is ready to sew into your quilt as 12.5 inches. This last add will make the block 3D. As your picture shows, it should be lighter than the black. FYI....I cheated and just used a 4 inch sashing when I designed it in EQ, instead of sewing the sashing all the way around the block. I think it will turn out with just as good a 3D effect.

For the picture of the block, I didn't use black because you can't see the seam using black material. That outside color has to be a dark shadow for the effect to be accurate. This 102 inch square quilt would be a good king size quilt. EQ doesn't allow a long sashing without cornerstones. You'll have to figure out your measurements for each side of the block using 4.5" strips if you don't want to put a 2 1/2 inch sash around each block. The other thing is EQ is over generous with giving fabric requirements. If you are using colors where you can pick up more, then I would buy less than EQ states you need.

This website has a good tutorial for the quarter log cabin block.
http://jellyrollsfabric.com/wp-conte...03/QLCtute.pdf
thank you so much, this is awesome!
Old 07-14-2018, 05:58 PM

Try bringing up the picture in Pinterest. Hit screen print on your keyboard, should be on the top row, right side.
Go to paint, home, paste. Clean it up because it will print the whole screen. Save as a JPG in your pictures or Quilt folder. You can go get it whenever you want.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:06 PM

Great optical illusion! Thanks for sharing
Old 07-15-2018, 03:13 AM

Thank you. This is on my bucket list
Old 07-15-2018, 09:02 AM

Gee, I bring up the link, place my mouse over the picture and right click. Several options come up such as "save image as". I do many, many pictures this way from the internet. Try it and good luck! Love the pattern! Very 3D.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:39 AM

I agree with these member-it is half side of a log cabin and it is just the dark fabric that makes it look 3D. Sometimes I look at quilts and feel overwhelmed and then I take a deep breath and pay attention as to how it is constructed. The picture you posted looks quite easy and "Barb in Louisiana" gave you a fantastic picture and layout of what you need.
Have fun making the 3D quilt if you choose to make that pattern.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:04 AM
Power Poster

This is all in the color placement. It is log cabin based as said. Get out your graph paper and colored pencils.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
Gee, I bring up the link, place my mouse over the picture and right click. Several options come up such as "save image as". I do many, many pictures this way from the internet. Try it and good luck! Love the pattern! Very 3D.
This is what I do also. It's fast and easy. So when you see an image you want to save on Pinterest, just click on the image, and when it opens in it's new window, right click the image, a window will open and click "save image as".
This will open the save window where you can tell it what folder or where on your computer you want to put the image. I keep a folder on my desktop for quilt pattern photos, so when the window comes up, on the left I click desktop, then I click the folder. Then click open and you are done.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:42 PM
Gay

I 'save image' as well. Probably why I have a gazillion pics stored which I will never get around to using.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:14 PM

Pamela, I had to laugh...I have this saved on Pinterest as well!

Love it!