Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where is your sewing machine? A good tip >

Where is your sewing machine? A good tip

Where is your sewing machine? A good tip

Old 10-04-2017, 03:08 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by QuiltyReese View Post
Doesn't the drag from the quilt hanging down cause problems when quilting?
not at all.
because that's the way i like it, i use it to my advantage.
having the quilt "pulled" straight comes in handy for straight-line with my walking foot.
i have an easier time with borders, too.
if i need to reduce drag, i puddle the quilt "just enough" on the table behind my machine, just as i have to do when i'm using the embroidery feature.

i should note, though ...
i am a bit self-indulgent when it comes to equipment so i have a nice big table to work on.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:35 PM
Power Poster

I don't have free wall space. If push comes to shove, I put the ironing board behind the table to catch overflow.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:31 PM

My machines sit in the middle of the room, back to back. I can push the machine down and put a filler in the hole, thereby having extra room behind. Looking at a window puts too much glare in my face. I don't like looking at a wall.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:52 PM
Power Poster

My machine backs up to a wall and I have a 2x4' folding table to my left. I am making charity quilts for the most part, 45x60" I can also FMQ a larger than full size quilt without any problems.

I use to use dining table and back chairs up to back side of table to keep quilt on the table top.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:01 PM

I have a narrow sewing cabinet that's against the wall, so there's not much space. But it works really well for me. I've quilted up to twin size on my small Bernina.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:19 AM

Depending on the size quilt/or topper I'm working on. My DSM is on a farm table against a window and I have the Jenn-Loop support system to help me there. I recently put another DSM on a SR2 Grace quilt frame out in our three season room. Being able to work in different rooms has not really helped my meandering....but has helped my back and shoulders. LOL
Old 10-05-2017, 05:13 AM

I recently bought a Kangaroo cabinet and it is in a corner with a window on the side. Love it. I saw the tip while reviewing the cabinet online. I bought the cabinet because someone on this site asked about the price of the cabinet. I have learned so much from this site. Thank you all.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:14 AM

I use a pool noodle between my sewing table and the wall so my quilt, pieces of fabric and tools don't fall down behind it. Works well for me.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:01 AM

Another use for a pool noodle! I love it. I stock up on them during the summer and use them for all sorts of things! Will add this to the list.

I was also going to mention (for the OP) the quilt hanging system that some people use, which Linda mentioned above. There are all sorts of ways people have done that. Leah Day has a video somewhere on her website or YouTube that explains what she did. I've also seen someone on this board who has a free-standing PVC frame over her machine with the hooks to hang the quilt. All great ideas!

That system is called Jennoop, by the way.

Last edited by DonnaC; 10-05-2017 at 07:05 AM.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:39 AM

I use my Singer 15-91 for quilting & binding, not necessarily piecing, so pull it out to the middlish of the room and place tables around to catch the quilt. It also keeps it off the floor and makes a handy sleeping spot for my kitties. I place my FW card table and a longer table around the cabinet itself and that usually works.

I use either my Bernina or 301 for piecing. Bernina in a cabinet and 301 goes on the table so chains are kept up off the floor.