Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
While making a quilt, I'm taking pictures to make a "How It's Done" >

While making a quilt, I'm taking pictures to make a "How It's Done"

While making a quilt, I'm taking pictures to make a "How It's Done"

Old 01-03-2010, 03:38 PM
Banned

Not quite the same thing, but I am starting a new quilt tomorrow and plan to take pictures all the way through. I'm an avid scrapbooker and I plan to scrapbook the pictures when I'm done....So, I think your idea is a GREAT one!
Old 01-04-2010, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by pam1966
An added bonus is that *maybe* non-quilting family members can see how time consuming this is!
Do any of you have any suggestions? Has anyone done this before?
I did this. Just took pictures step-by-step, showing measuring, cutting, pressing, piecing, stacks of pieces to be sewn or pressed. I put it all together just using MS Word. Very rudimentary, but I was pressed for time. The recipient, was/is aware of how labor intensive it is, but I was hoping that some others would see it and take note.
I may do it again if I feel the need, however I would take a bit more time to make it a "nicer" presentation. :-)
Old 01-04-2010, 08:00 AM
Power Poster

I have been taking pictures of my "Danbury" quilt just for myself to keep track of the steps.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:25 AM

Do any of you have any suggestions?
The following are my opinions only; feel free to ignore them all!
If you are doing this for your niece it's a great idea, but make sure you aim it at a 3 year old audience. Do not go into details of every step and do not make it into a tutorial. I'd be willing to bet even the most precocious 3yo would not give a hoot about how to make a quilt. A story, in book form, would be wonderful and you could even tell it from the point of view of one of the fabrics...something with an animal on it perhaps?

If you are doing this for your sister, to fuel her interest in quilting, aim it at her level and just hit the main points. If she wants more details, talk to her and give her some resources she can use to gather information on her own. Don't bore her with the minutia, give her a taste of the reasons you love quilting.

If you are doing this for your own pleasure, to document this particular quilt, to practice your 'tutorial making' skills, to keep for your own records, then make it as detailed and as specific as you want, but keep it for yourself.

If you are doing this for non-quilting family members, to 'show' them all that is involved in the making of a quilt, to 'prove' to them that they should appreciate all that you have done for them, then you should probably reconsider doing it at all. Things we are force-fed seldom leave a good taste in our mouths.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:34 AM
bj

My grandson's other granny lives in Europe. When she comes to visit him she always takes lots of pictures of their adventures together. Then when she gets home, she writes a little story about it. She then uses an online photo service that does books and he has a hardbound book of her visit. The service she uses is Shutterfly, but I think there are lots of them out there. He has a special Nanny shelf with all their books on it. I think a "picture book" of your quilt adventure would be fun for her and it would be a treasure when she is older! I think it's a wonderful idea.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
Do any of you have any suggestions?
The following are my opinions only; feel free to ignore them all!
If you are doing this for your niece it's a great idea, but make sure you aim it at a 3 year old audience. Do not go into details of every step and do not make it into a tutorial. I'd be willing to bet even the most precocious 3yo would not give a hoot about how to make a quilt. A story, in book form, would be wonderful and you could even tell it from the point of view of one of the fabrics...something with an animal on it perhaps?

If you are doing this for your sister, to fuel her interest in quilting, aim it at her level and just hit the main points. If she wants more details, talk to her and give her some resources she can use to gather information on her own. Don't bore her with the minutia, give her a taste of the reasons you love quilting.

If you are doing this for your own pleasure, to document this particular quilt, to practice your 'tutorial making' skills, to keep for your own records, then make it as detailed and as specific as you want, but keep it for yourself.

If you are doing this for non-quilting family members, to 'show' them all that is involved in the making of a quilt, to 'prove' to them that they should appreciate all that you have done for them, then you should probably reconsider doing it at all. Things we are force-fed seldom leave a good taste in our mouths.
Oh, goodness, I'm not doing this to prove how hard I'm working at this. Sorry if I gave that impression! My sister wants to know how to make a quilt. Believe me, I have no problems in telling someone how I feel.

I did start a blog (I'm useless at those kinds of things, so no one laugh!). I will also put together a "book" of some kind of my niece when it's all done. The blog will be for my sister, and I figured she can help me with the book for my niece after viewing the blog.

Oh, and here's the blog address: http://wannaquilt.blogspot.com/
Old 01-10-2010, 05:40 AM

I think it is such a great idea. I sure would have treasured something like that, perhaps not a 3 but years later.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:37 AM

I have never done this before, but it is a great idea.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:42 AM

I have done a few tutorials too..and i see there are tutorial threads here on this board! Great idea!