Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who does not use quilt basting spray and why not? >

Who does not use quilt basting spray and why not?

Who does not use quilt basting spray and why not?

Old 12-03-2009, 08:09 PM
Power Poster

I have this frame but an older model, my rails are wood and the gear wheels are wood. It folds up flat so it isn't in the way when I don't need it. I have the king size rails on it and just push it flush up against the wall in a unused room.

http://graceframe.com/gfxoops/modules/sample_module_5/
Old 12-04-2009, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by wishiwerequilting
I'm thinking this is a technique issue.
I clamp my backing to my dining room table using those binder clips you buy at a stationery store.
the backing is taught, no wrinkles, but not stretched. you just want it tight enough so you can't pinch it off the table.
Lisa
That works fine for a small quilt and on a table with corners. I've tried to do that on a round (oblong with leaf in) table and on a queen size quilt and it doesn't work quite so well. :-)

When I first started using the basting spray, I tried to use it on poly batting and it absolutely did not work. Everything moved around and skewed, finally had to resort to basting gun. Now I only buy 100% cotton batting and haven't had a problem since.
:D
Old 12-04-2009, 06:44 AM

I only make small quilts or wallhangings so therefore I don't have any trouble putting the sandwich together.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:55 AM

I still baste with needle and thread. I just don't like the idea of spraying anything on my quilts. Most of the times I am doing projects that don't get washed. So I would worry that with time it could do something to the fabric itself.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:04 PM

I was just on the Joann Fabric website and came across June Tailor Quilter's Basting Gun. Shoots plastic fasteners into the quilt (for basting). Anyone used this product?
thanks, Sarah in No. Calif.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:14 PM

I have one, but it does leave a little larger hole than the safety pins. Many people really like them.
Originally Posted by Sarah CA
I was just on the Joann Fabric website and came across June Tailor Quilter's Basting Gun. Shoots plastic fasteners into the quilt (for basting). Anyone used this product?
Old 12-05-2009, 04:20 PM

That's what I was wondering....how big the hole was and if it was noticeable. Thanks.

Originally Posted by shaverg
I have one, but it does leave a little larger hole than the safety pins. Many people really like them.

Originally Posted by Sarah CA
Old 12-05-2009, 05:35 PM

I used the basting gun BEFORE I discovered spray basting. I'll never go back! If you do use it, be VERY careful when you remove the tacks. You can buy a tack remover, and it's worth it, because you won't be chancing cutting into your quilt. You can tease out the holes by rubbing back and forth with your fingernail.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:43 PM

Thanks for the info on the basting gun. I actually like the idea of the spray basting, but as mentioned in previous posts, I worry about the toxicity and the overspray.
Thanks again, Sarah

Originally Posted by JoanneS
I used the basting gun BEFORE I discovered spray basting. I'll never go back! If you do use it, be VERY careful when you remove the tacks. You can buy a tack remover, and it's worth it, because you won't be chancing cutting into your quilt. You can tease out the holes by rubbing back and forth with your fingernail.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:00 PM

i'm another who will not go back to previous methods of basting, now that I have discovered 505 spray. I love the speed with which i can baste a quilt using 505 and I love how neatly my backing stays while I am machine quilting. I never have to worry about puckers using the method I described previously.
There are all kinds of basting sprays out there, for all kinds of crafting. So it is not a good idea to lump them all together. 505 is great for basting quilts and it has no odor to speak of. (I am very sensitive, have to have windows open when painting, etc, and i have no problems with it, however everyone needs to take into consideration their unique sensitivities and philosophies).
You can totally avoid overspray by spraying from the edge of the quilt toward the center of the quilt and go no further than the edge on each end. if you are concerned, put a sheet down on the floor when you spray a large quilt or place paper down beside a wall quilt. Just avoid trying to spray an entire quilt from one standing position. You have to move around the quilt as you spray and you should not have a problem.
Lisa