Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who does not use quilt basting spray and why not? >

Who does not use quilt basting spray and why not?

Who does not use quilt basting spray and why not?

Old 12-05-2009, 07:18 PM
Banned

i only use it when i want to do fabric rubbings to keep the fabric from shifting on the rubbing plates.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:32 PM

Thanks Lisa, appreciate the useful information.
Sarah in No. Calif.

Originally Posted by wishiwerequilting
i'm another who will not go back to previous methods of basting, now that I have discovered 505 spray. I love the speed with which i can baste a quilt using 505 and I love how neatly my backing stays while I am machine quilting. I never have to worry about puckers using the method I described previously.
There are all kinds of basting sprays out there, for all kinds of crafting. So it is not a good idea to lump them all together. 505 is great for basting quilts and it has no odor to speak of. (I am very sensitive, have to have windows open when painting, etc, and i have no problems with it, however everyone needs to take into consideration their unique sensitivities and philosophies).
You can totally avoid overspray by spraying from the edge of the quilt toward the center of the quilt and go no further than the edge on each end. if you are concerned, put a sheet down on the floor when you spray a large quilt or place paper down beside a wall quilt. Just avoid trying to spray an entire quilt from one standing position. You have to move around the quilt as you spray and you should not have a problem.
Lisa
Old 12-14-2009, 03:16 PM

I have a basting gun. It works well if you are going to tie the quilt. The shaft on the tags, or what ever you call them, are so long that the front and back of the quilt are not pulled tightly together and there can be big problem in getting the quilt together nicely. You also need a grid that lifts the quilt off the floor while basting. In the long run there are easier ways to put the quilt together.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:19 PM

I pin baste my quilts.....I refuse to pay the price they ask for for the spray......it is rediculous!
Old 12-14-2009, 04:34 PM

The spray is obviously more costly, but I have so little free time, that the hours saved by spray basting is worth it to me, and my results are better. I can machine quilt more quickly and without having to stop to remove pins and check for puckers on the backing. This is most definitely a personal choice and not a "one size fits all". everyone has to do what feels right for them.