Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who makes scrappy quilts? >

Who makes scrappy quilts?

Who makes scrappy quilts?

Old 03-23-2010, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Gramma Harley
Can you share your Sunbonnet Sue pattern JoyjoyMarie? It is the one I used to make my sister (13 years younger than me) a baby blanket when she was a baby. I also had the boy pattern too. It was an old pattern that came from my grandmother but it was lost over the years. Oh and I never knew there was any other kind of quilts but scrappy until maybe 20 years ago. Us grandkids loved to check out gramma's quilts she made because they would have signs of our clothes and she used the scraps from all the seamstresses in the family. Yes...scrappy is dear to my heart and I've made many. As you can see in my double-wedding ring as an example.
I would be glad to share the pattern, but I guess I'm not too sure how on the internet. It came to me - both boy and girl- in a plastic bag with some cardboard templates and maybe a picture from somewhere in the cosmos, so I can't quote you a book or magazine to look for or at. I get a lot of pattern ideas from the books in our local libraries and the quilt guild. Maybe someone else has has a reference for you.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:29 PM

the second one is really named a strippy quilt the 3rd one is called broken dishes, their are many varieties of this! This is just a old pattern! Perhaps my favorite of all scrappies!
Old 03-23-2010, 04:29 PM

Scrappy is what quilting was all about. All the bits and pieces too small to do anything else with, and not wanting to waste anything. For me it is still that way. I even purchase used clothing to recycle into children's clothing, then the scraps are used to make curtains, quilts, trims, dolls and anything else I figure I need. Once, I made an entire winter's worth of baby sleepers from used sweatshirts. I just used the logo or picture for on the back. I love scrappy stuff - it truly is recycling at its best.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by deedum
got more too!
Your Crumb Quilt is so unique. Love it!
Old 03-23-2010, 04:32 PM

I've been quilting about 8 years now, almost anyway, and I dont' think I bought any more fabric than I absolutely needed until the last year or two. I started buying 1/2 yard more than I needed so I could start building a stash. I bought 3 yards each of different reds, greens, golds and creams for my big project this year. I ended up with a TON left over....on purpose. I kept all the extra pieces from strips and everything. I hope to make a scrappy quilt some day, but I dont' know how long it's going to take to build up that many scraps! I hope to make one some day. Most of mine I've kept in strips because I know I want to make a scrappy log cabin someday, so I have a plastic tote slightly bigger than a shoe box to keep them in. I did have a wonderful quilting board angel that sent me some of her fabric she had no use for. I'm slowly incorporating them into projects so I can make more scraps! soon...someday soon I should be able to get moving.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:36 PM

Thanks Rexane, I gave that to a dear friend and she just about cried she loved it so! That was my first giveaway quilt, I liked it so well myself, but my friend loved it from the moment she saw it from the begining block! It had to be hers!
Old 03-23-2010, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by deedum
Thanks Rexane, I gave that to a dear friend and she just about cried she loved it so! That was my first giveaway quilt, I liked it so well myself, but my friend loved it from the moment she saw it from the begining block! It had to be hers!
What a great friend! What is the name of the block for this quilt?
Old 03-23-2010, 04:53 PM

Yesssss. The quilts are soo pretty. I dont think I have ever seen one I did not like. Some more than others of course. But the scrappies are so much more that the collections. My opinion. Jolo
Old 03-23-2010, 04:56 PM

There are so many wonderful pictures of the scrappy! I cannot wait until I have enough Scraps! :) and somemore experience ..
Old 03-23-2010, 05:22 PM

That is the "crumb quilt"! I believe that one is listed at www.quiltville.com