Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who manufactures what???? >

Who manufactures what????

Who manufactures what????

Old 02-06-2012, 08:04 AM

Thanks for the great information. I have two Kenmores, a featherweight and a new (2years) inexpensive Singer. I am happy with all of my machines and have found a great repair person who not only knows about most machines but is very reasonable. I recently had work done on my 30 year old Kenmore and the repair man did it within a week and charged only $70 including cleaning. I had a problem with my cams and it needed a new part & a good cleaning.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:14 AM

Great information. Thanks for sharing! Makes me glad I have the machines I have gotten over the years.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:43 AM

That article opened my eyes!! I didn't realize how interwined the machines were. I would need to do a lot of research before I brought another machine.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:27 AM

I love my 1994 Viking and take it to a local repair store for repair. Right now she is waiting because I don't even have the $70 - let alone what else might be needed to fix her. When she gave up, I bought a Brother Quilting Machine for $200 that does all the Viking did. I am so happy with this, the 3rd Brother that I've bought, that I will probably stick with Brother machines. I also had a Brother Embroidery Machine that I sold when I moved to raise money. Big mistake!!!! Brother makes machines for other companies, including Bernina! I don't think I'll invest thousands of dollars in another machine unless it is a Gammell or big arm quilting machine. Do your research and find out just who is making the machines. You might be suprised. I understand Singer now owns Viking. Big change!
Old 02-06-2012, 09:46 AM

Great info. Should be a perm link because folks are always asking about which machine. I had a Viking that finally just gave up the ghost. I know that a good mechanic could get it going again but I just am tired of it. It ran and ran and was wonderful. Soo I went looking for another Viking... looked at prices etc wasn't happening. I ended up with a spur of the moment buy that I was very pleased with. I got a Brother QC1000 that came with a serger, rolling bag and a bunch of feet. a smidge over $2000. Just so happened that I had just gotten my back disability check and after giving most of it to my DD I decided I wanted something for me. So I bought it. I have had it since 2008 and never a bit of trouble. (knock on wood) .
Old 02-06-2012, 09:49 AM

Loved your husband's write-up of his investigation. Thanks for sharing. That's how I felt looking for a machine that I bought a few months ago - very confused. I ended up with the Bernina 820.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:01 AM

WOW - that is great information - thank you - love how the writer total you about the machines - very interesting
Old 02-06-2012, 10:10 AM

I have two friends that in the past couple of years both bought high end machines. One was a Viking and the other was the new 830 Bernina. Well, to make a long story short - they have had nothing but trouble with those machines. I have owned Janomes for about 19 years and when it comes time for a new one, it will be another Janome.
I will have to travel over an hour one way to go to the dealer, but I think it's worth it. Give the new dealer a try.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:48 PM

I have had several Viking Machines including one that does quilting as a mid arm. I can tell you that I only have had one incident with my embroidery machine that was fixed immediately and with no hassel. I will also say that buying a machine is at least half the dealer. I have had two very good dealers and one that I will not go back in her shop. Check out the dealer first.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:47 PM

Ditto Crafty pat. I love my 401A. My Viking does a good job on some things, but the "tank" is wonderful.