Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who takes classes at Craftsy? >

Who takes classes at Craftsy?

Who takes classes at Craftsy?

Old 02-15-2013, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by LinRupp View Post
I am also enrolled in several Craftsy classes and have learned a lot. The format is great. I did learn in last years BOM that I DO NOT like to make hexagons! Some classes I haven't completed yet but I bought them when they were on sale. When a new one comes out it seems pricey for my budget but eventually they will have a special sale or if you wait a while it does go down in price.
Lol! I'm doing the 2012 BOM right now! And like you found that I do not like doing hexagons. To narrow it down it's really the putting them together. I'll just substitute a different block in those spaces.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:04 AM

I have signed up for a few when they were new, and now they have so many classes, I wouldn't know which one to sign up for next!

So those of you who have gotten refunds.. I have asked for refund, and immediately got a refund. There's a class or two I would like to try, but I'd feel bad if I just didn't like them and asked for my money back more than once. Of course, I'd like to take advantage of the sale that is on now, but what if I sign up for 5 classes and want a refund for 4 of them???
Old 02-15-2013, 03:16 AM

I highly recommend the Craftsy classes. I think I'm enrolled in all of the quilting ones. I took advantage of the sales for most of them. The last two I've done were Kimmy Brunner's class on the longarm & Cindy Needham's Design it, Quilt it, which is both for DSM & longarm. They are great because you can repeat any segment anytime & they never expire. Well worth the money, in my book!
Old 02-15-2013, 04:08 AM

I have signed up for several when there are sales. Some are free so it is a great way to try before you buy. Machine 101 is one of those along with a BOM. I love being able to return to the classes for a quick review.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:15 AM

I have taken a few classes and have learned a lot from them...I especially like that I can keep going back to them and review specific sections when I need too..
Old 02-15-2013, 04:38 AM

I'm signed up for several classes and over-all I really like them. I've watched a lot of Leah Day on her own website but still picked up some hints in the Craftsy class. A couple, I haven't completed any of my classes just because there isn't always the time to do it but I do think they are worth the money. The first classes I signed up for had a short intro that was done by the actual instructor but they seem to have replaced that with a short video telling you how great the class is going to be. I wish they would go back to the instructor for the intro as one of the classed I'm not watching because the instructor IMO has a very irritating pace and way of speaking. That said - you can always request a refund!
Old 02-15-2013, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Tabatha View Post
I like *most* of the teachers but there are some that drive me crazy, I think that's a personal preference.

*TIP* If you don't like a class, give it a 2 star review and you will get a refund.
I started a class on making pieced backs and that was what got me into trouble with my last two quilts. I did not realize that we could not make pieced backs with precisely the same measurements as the front. I made borders and all--thinking that a LA quilter could stretch both back and front to match each other. Now I find out that is not possible.

I actually never finished watching that class because I could not stand the presentation. The teacher went on and on about little or nothing and so I dropped it and went off on my own.

Warning*** Don't do that unless you are a super quilter. It could cause you to spoil your work like I did mine.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:05 AM
Swap Hosts

So glad I saw this post on the sale. Great prices! Just signed up for a couple of them!
Old 02-15-2013, 05:10 AM

I have taken a couple of classes and they were OK. The thing that bugs me about Craftsy is their advertising. Everywhere I go on the internet is an ad for Craftsy, either their fabrics or their classes. I get REALLY tired of seeing their ads everywhere I go. I know they have targeted advertising since I have taken their classes, but this is ridiculous. I will NEVER take another class or buy any fabric from them because their advertising is so intrusive.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:35 AM

I've signed up for a bunch. Just signed up a for Angela's feather class. I really like the quilting classes and have learned lots of tips and tricks even in the more basic ones. I have a HQ SS 16 midarm sitdown, but even enjoyed the long arm ones - The ruler one especially. I think rulers are easier on sit-downs and it was all totally applicable to a domestic machine. I've never paid full price, but when they go on sale I keep picking up a bunch (sewing, quilting, and knitting), so I always have something to watch.

What's really nice is they now have an app for the iPad and iPhone, well if you have AppleTV you can then throw it up on your TV, which I do in my sewing room.

I'm like some of the others too. I like to watch, but don't do all the projects. I like to apply the techniques to things I'm already working on.