Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who takes classes at Craftsy? >

Who takes classes at Craftsy?

Who takes classes at Craftsy?

Old 02-15-2013, 05:39 AM

I took one of their classes last summer. Then about Christmas time I was surprised to find charges for three more classes that I didn't know anything about. I called Craftsy and they were very slow to respond and told me they couldn't find the charges. When I called my credit card company they said they were recurring charges and I would get them on my statement every month. I was floored. The credit card company contacted Craftsy and they got on the stick and finally ditched the charges and said they were fraudulent. What that means I don't know. I am leery of taking any more of their classes because of this. Keep an eye on your credit card statements. I don't know if this was Craftsy or some of their affiliates but it bears watching.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:01 AM

I have taken several of their classes including the free quilting classes. If you're not sure, sign up for one of the free classes and see the format. Then if you like it, you can go ahead and sign up for the class(es) that you want! Enjoy!!
Old 02-15-2013, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by lclang View Post
I took one of their classes last summer. Then about Christmas time I was surprised to find charges for three more classes that I didn't know anything about. I called Craftsy and they were very slow to respond and told me they couldn't find the charges. When I called my credit card company they said they were recurring charges and I would get them on my statement every month. I was floored. The credit card company contacted Craftsy and they got on the stick and finally ditched the charges and said they were fraudulent. What that means I don't know. I am leery of taking any more of their classes because of this. Keep an eye on your credit card statements. I don't know if this was Craftsy or some of their affiliates but it bears watching.
I had an issue with Craftsy about a year ago - charged for a course I had looked at preview for. Apparently Craftsy had stored my credit card info from previous purchase. It was resolved and I was assured that a new system was being put in place so that that could not happen. Nevertheless I am leery and somewhat reluctant to sign up again even though the classes I purchased I have liked.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:21 AM

I have taken both of Jenny Doan's quilting classes and loved them. I also took the sewing class from D Rupp and found it very helpful. Have signed up for Leah Day's class but haven't started it yet. Have heard so much about her that I couldn't resist the sale price (earlier when it first came out). I don't think you can go wrong signing up for any of the classes.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:47 AM

Sign up and try one- I have taken several and been VERY pleased! I love to just watch over again while just relaxing before bed. The info sinks in more the more you watch them! I'm determined to become a great quilter on the DSM, so these classes are a handy tool. And I agree about trying the free ones if you want to test the format to your liking. No complaints from me- the prices are terrific and sales are frequent.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by karenpatrick View Post
I have taken a couple of classes and they were OK. The thing that bugs me about Craftsy is their advertising. Everywhere I go on the internet is an ad for Craftsy, either their fabrics or their classes. I get REALLY tired of seeing their ads everywhere I go. I know they have targeted advertising since I have taken their classes, but this is ridiculous. I will NEVER take another class or buy any fabric from them because their advertising is so intrusive.
That's just an algorithm, it isn't directly related to Craftsy. If I do a Google search for purple fabric I get inundated with ads for fabric stores on every site I visit.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by AlienQuilter View Post
They are having a sale right now and I'm sitting here wondering if I should sign up for a couple.

Any recommendations?
Thanks for the question....I too have been on the fence regarding taking advantage of the sale with a couple of FMQ classes...I will be watching this thread with particular interest! Thanks!
Old 02-15-2013, 07:32 AM

I have taken a few classes - when I go to piece the quilt, I got back into the instructions to see them again - once you sign up, you can go back as many times as you like - sometimes I even put my laptop next to my Bernina to see it step by step - helps me a lot.
Normabeth
Old 02-15-2013, 07:43 AM

I have taken three courses and totally enjoyed them. I have not had an issue with billing.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:52 AM

I have taken many of their classes - quilting, garment sewing & fitting, knitting and crochet. I even took one of the jewelry classes! I give Craftsy high praise.

There was one class that I signed up for and then discovered it wasn't for me. It was a loom weaving class, and required you to purchase a very expensive (in my opinion) loom to use. I didn't realize that until after I had signed up. Craftsy refunded my purchase with no problem, and they actually left the loom class in my "Homeroom" so I could still watch it if I ever changed my mind. How can you beat that?!