Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who takes classes at Craftsy? >

Who takes classes at Craftsy?

Who takes classes at Craftsy?

Old 02-15-2013, 02:19 PM

You will love taking a course at Craftsy. They are offering the 2013 Block of the Month free. Each block contains a different design. I highly recommend Craftsy.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider View Post
I'm trying the 2012 BOM. It's interesting and learning a couple of new things that I was curious about. I can't tell when the posts from the class questions and answers are dated. I looked at the 2013 BOM, can't figure out how to do that as a QAYG,so spaced it. Tried Leah Day's class - lost interest. I don't want to FMQ that way. I want the old stencils and I deal with one block at a time. I hate to say it, but some of the effusive language like "sweet, cute, darling" turn me off.

Was interested in that one that someone mentioned with stencils, but if it mostly applies to long armers and she's selling rulers, it will be a no go.
You might enjoy "Design It, Quilt IT" with Cindy Needham. I took that class and even tho I have never used a stencil before, I did learn a lot of things. She marks her quilts but fmq on her domestic machine and you watch her do it. She has lots of ideas and is a thorough instructor.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:17 PM

I've taken a whole bunch of them, mostly quilting. I've watched Leah Day for many years, receive her newsletter and thought about taking her class for many months before I decided to go ahead and take it. I have learned a lot from her class, more than I thought, I would actually. "Design It, Quilt It" with Cindy Needham was also very beneficial. She comes from a hand quilting background, but uses her domestic machine now. She's also been an educator for Superior Threads, so her teaching skills and expertize are very evident. One thing I really like, is you can ask questions and even if your question isn't directly related to the class, they will still answer your question. I had some questions about a quilt I was working on and got answers from people I felt were professionals - awesome! I've also taken 2 knitting classes with Stephanie Japel. Her enthusiasm is wonderful. I like how the camera gets very close up so you can see what's happening with the knitting needles. I think taking a class is a good way to learn new things or a different way to learn something you might already know how to do. This method is great, since you can do it at your own pace and time frame. You can ask your own questions or answer other peoples questions. I've also taken some of the FREE classes and they have all been good. Since they've got a sale going on right now, it would be an easy way to jump in and learn something new or learn a different way to do a method you are already familiar with.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:39 PM

I am taking the BOM classes for 2012 and 2013. These are free classes and I enrolled in these to test the waters. So far....I love them. Will definitely take more classes.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:25 PM

Some classes are on sale right now. I just signed up for Jenny Doan's 2 Quilting Quickly classes. They have a great discount
Old 02-16-2013, 04:23 AM

I've taken a lot of their classes and learned a lot. I especially enjoyed the Ann Petersen class on how to quilt a big quilt on a small machine. Since taking that class I've been quilting up a storm. I've signed up for a lot of their other classes that were on sale during Christmas. I haven't watched them all but plan to. What I love about it is that I can go back anytime and watch.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by JulieR View Post
That's just an algorithm, it isn't directly related to Craftsy. If I do a Google search for purple fabric I get inundated with ads for fabric stores on every site I visit.
Exactly! Don't blame Craftsy ... blame Google. I've been looking a Flor carpet tiles and their ads now show up constantly.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:55 AM

This is somewhat OT - but here's a how-to on searching to NOT include certain things.
http://blog.hubspot.com/blog/tabid/6...An-Expert.aspx

I've searched for other forums or an answer to a question and have gotten pages and pages from one site. It's really annoying. The - sign works. Do it like it looks with no space.

I'm going to try a couple of the other classes. I like Leah Day as a blogger - she is quite the character. I just don't agree with her style of quilting.

I did request that "Design it" class. Would pay the difference. I see a couple of others. I might never make what they are doing, but would like to fuss with the technique.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:04 AM

This morning some more classes went on sale. I got notice in my email some are even free. I have signed up for 2 just recently and will be signing up for at least 2 more. I like learning at my own pace and not have the stress of a class room. I tend to be extremely shy and quiet till I am comfy with my surrounding which takes away from the fun of a in person class. I have nothing but good things to say about Craftsy and suggest everyone give it a go.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:36 AM

I have seen lots of their ads, and Michael's at the same time. Are they affiliated? Thanks,