Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who uses Omnigrid rulers? >

Who uses Omnigrid rulers?

Who uses Omnigrid rulers?

Old 09-05-2011, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by joyce888
Am I the only one who has trouble reading thru these rulers because of the thick yellow or green lines? I have mono vision (one eye for distance, one eye for close-up) and I don't know if that's why I have a hard time. You all might see these in my next sale.
I'm with you, and I don't have monovision. I like the ones with no color better.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sunnye
Originally Posted by sherriequilts
Originally Posted by Sunnye
OK, you quilters with mono vision:
I have it also. Got Lasik surgery years ago before starting to quilt. Wish I could go back to glasses.

Do you have a hard time with measuring? Sewing straight? Piecing correctly?

Every quilt I make ends up being crooked; I blame it on lack of depth perception due to mono vision. I end up ripping everything out and starting over.

I too had the Lasik surgery before starting to quilt. I wore the mono vision contacts so I didn't have any problems adjusting to it when I had Lasik. But I have found that if I wear the drugstore reading glasses I can see better at the sewing machine; but I don't need them when cutting or pressing.

How do you adjust? I measure and measure and measure and line up and cut/sew on "the line" and I'm still crooked. HELP!
I wonder if it possible to have an optometrist set you up with glasses that have correction in only one lens or both so that your vision in both eyes is the same for sewing and cutting. As i get older my eyes are changing and it is unnerving to say the least! Good luck!
I've tried; didn't work too well.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:38 AM

Am I the only one who has trouble reading thru these rulers because of the thick yellow or green lines? I have mono vision (one eye for distance, one eye for close-up) and I don't know if that's why I have a hard time. You all might see these in my next sale.
You have the same vision problem that I do and yes it is difficult to see through the yellow line but I don't think it is vision connected.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by angiecub
I'm with you, and I don't have monovision. I like the ones with no color better.
Mine is caused by a paralysis in the external eye muscles and if I look out of both eyes I have double vision. Had catarac surgery a few years ago and the internal linces have made for perfect close up with my right eye and distance with my left eye. Love the fact I do not have to wear glasses any more.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:53 AM
Power Poster

I have a small square ruler and find it hard to read, so I ues the rules with black lines, much easier for these old eyes to see, even in bright lighting.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:53 AM
Power Poster

I have a small square ruler and find it hard to read, so I ues the rules with black lines, much easier for these old eyes to see, even in bright lighting.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:21 PM

nope... i had a hard time also so i replaced mine with creative grid rulers and have not had any problems. in fact my seams match almost perfectly now.... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 09-05-2011, 12:27 PM

I have several, and think they are okay. However, I'd like a couple rulers that start and end with inch marks. Most of the ones I have have 1/2" on one side - sometimes it drives me crazy
Old 09-05-2011, 12:35 PM

i just stick a strip of color tape where i want to cut and follow that. it peels off easily to repostion. helps me lots cause i can't see small stuff like the numbers or dots on any ruler unless i am like 2 inches away without my glasses. that may help you too.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:38 PM

I'm not crazy about them, but if I take out my contacts and just use bifocals, it works. I had to get glasses to use with my contacts that were just for close work and another for distance. It's heck to get old.