Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who? What? Where? When? How? >

Who? What? Where? When? How?

Who? What? Where? When? How?

Old 10-30-2012, 11:10 AM

Who taught you to sew?
Like most of us, my mother. Additional sewing instruction came during Jr. High School "Home Ec" classes.

What frustrated you the most about your sewing machine?
About the machine I learned to sew on? It was an old Kenmore with cams. Hated changing cams.

What would make it easier to learn to sew?
Hmmm ... it wasn't difficult.

What did you do to conquer the sewing machine?
Having the Hom Ec classes helped because each day could be a different machine. So I've sewn on Kenmores, Singers, Pfaff's, Bernina's .... I do remember I had favorites but I'll be darned if I remember which they were now. That was a few years ago ya know
What kept you going?
For a long time after high school I stopped. Then when I got married my husband bought me a sewing machine and I started making garments again. Many years later, and a different husband, and another new sewing machine (so I guess if I *really* want that HQ16 I need another husband? Nah). So in a sense, getting new husbands ... I mean new machines kept me going.
Where did you keep your sewing machine? Case or Cabinet?
Cabinet.
When did you conquer the sewing machine?
Early. 10 ... 12 ... something like that.
How did you ever learn to quilt?
That was a relatively short time ago. I was in the back seat of a van with two friends. The friend in the front passenger seat had completed a quilt top and was hand quilting while we drove, and I was watching her from the back seat and decided "I can do that". So I did. Self taught.
Did you use a straight stitch or zig zag sewing machine to learn to sew?
Zig Zag.
Were you a child or an adult when you learned to quilt?
Old lady
Old 10-30-2012, 11:40 AM

Who taught you to sew? My Mom first worked with me on the machine at 5 years old. She put phone books under the pedal so I could reah it

What frustrated you the most about your sewing machine? the tension

What would make it easier to learn to sew? Having a set place to leave the machine set up...Many times I wanted to work but didn't have enuf time to drag everything out and get something done.

What did you do to conquer the sewing machine? Practice,practice,practice and a very patient mother

What kept you going? I loved spending the time with my Mom..it was special one on one time..I developed a love for the craft too.

Where did you keep your sewing machine? Case or Cabinet? It was in a case in the closet until I was using it.

When did you conquer the sewing machine? About the age of 7 I was pretty proficient with basic sewing

How did you ever learn to quilt? My mother first taught me as she learned. Later a woman from my church began to hold a weekly quilting session at her house..I learned a LOT of very practical things from this group

Did you use a straight stitch or zig zag sewing machine to learn to sew? The machine I learned on was my mother's 8th grade graduation present..it didn't HAVE a zig zag!!

Were you a child or an adult when you learned to quilt?Quilting was something I learned as an adult..I now enjoy teaching one of my daughters
Old 10-30-2012, 03:01 PM

My mother taught me the very basics and then I was on my own. First project at age 7 was a doll the same size as me that wore my clothes. I made most of my clothes starting at age 10.

First "quilt" was when I wanted to take my ugly blanket to college. My mother suggested I cover it. I cut simple squares from scraps of clothes I had made for myself, my sister, and my Mom. I still have it and it reminds me of things like high school musical costumes, various Easter dresses, flamboyant shorts, etc
Old 10-30-2012, 04:33 PM

Who taught you to sew? I taught myself to sew after seeing the beautiful quilts my husband's grandmother made.
What frustrated you the most about your sewing machine? I had a hard time figuring out a tension issue.
What would make it easier to learn to sew? having someone show me, lead me through the process, but I didn't have that luxury.
What did you do to conquer the sewing machine? It was my great grandmother's machine that had been passed down to my mother and passed down to me and it had never been serviced. I took it to a pro who cleaned it and serviced it and set all the settings correctly and I haven't had a problem with it since. I'm still using it today.
What kept you going? Wanting to make beautiful cloth art.
Where did you keep your sewing machine? Case or Cabinet? it's built into a cabinet that opens up.
When did you conquer the sewing machine? about 15 years ago.
How did you ever learn to quilt? I taught myself using books and a lot of trial and error. I really love The Quilter's Complete Guide by Fons and Porter!
Did you use a straight stitch or zig zag sewing machine to learn to sew? It has both but I usually use straight.
Were you a child or an adult when you learned to quilt? Adult.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:42 PM

Who taught you to sew?
What frustrated you the most about your sewing machine?
What would make it easier to learn to sew?
What did you do to conquer the sewing machine?
What kept you going?
Where did you keep your sewing machine? Case or Cabinet?
When did you conquer the sewing machine?
How did you ever learn to quilt?
Did you use a straight stitch or zig zag sewing machine to learn to sew?
Were you a child or an adult when you learned to quilt?

Mostly myself
My mother had a Featherweight. I hated it.
Not having to make the junk they used as patterns in HS. I don't care for fashion. (Didn't care for the garbage they cooked, either.) Would have rather taken automotive repair. (I did learn that eventually. I had a Spitfire.)
Pfaff came out with the 1471. That meant I could program the machine to do what I wanted, including stitches. Then I got interested since I could find patterns I liked in thrift stores and ignore what fashion dictated.
I started with the 1471. Found a book on mini quilts that used a 1/8" seam. Not too much fabric to handle.
The FW was straight stitch, the Pfaff, programmable.
The machines are in cabinets.
Adult.

I refuse to be conventional. Taught daughter the same. One of her projects was a final for a Geology class. The professor said he was tired of the usual final projects. She decided to to an Isopatric map of the US as a wall hanging. I told her it could be appliqued and to go get my stash. We did get it done, I was able to get the map key printed on fabric - she satin stitched the whole thing. It's hanging in the Science dept. of the college. The professor was floored. So was his wife, who was a quilter. Kid got an A.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:44 PM

Who taught you to sew? I learned mostly from my 6th grade home-ec teacher, Mrs. Bowers. But, my mom helped me out when I had a question at home.
What frustrated you the most about your sewing machine? I don't remember being frustrated at all. I was fascinated, loved sewing much more than cooking!
What would make it easier to learn to sew? Seriously, I didn't have any trouble.
What did you do to conquer the sewing machine? Again, no trouble.
What kept you going? I fell in love with sewing immediately!
Where did you keep your sewing machine? Case or Cabinet? My mom's was in a cabinet, the one I got for HS graduation was in a base with no lid (it was used), but is now in a cabinet.
When did you conquer the sewing machine? In the 6th grade (1974)
How did you ever learn to quilt? I taught myself by reading books from the library and watching quilting shows on PBS.
Did you use a straight stitch or zig zag sewing machine to learn to sew? The one at school was zigzag (don't remember what brand) and my mom's was an old Kenmore zigzag. My first machine was a Singer 401A, which I still use regularly.
Were you a child or an adult when you learned to quilt? I was 22.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:04 PM

Who taught you to sew? Myself and home ec
What frustrated you the most about your sewing machine? tension problems and no one to ask about it
What would make it easier to learn to sew? A better machine
What did you do to conquer the sewing machine? just kept plugging away at it
Where did you keep your sewing machine? Case or Cabinet? case
When did you conquer the sewing machine? have yet to, lol....it challenges me every day
How did you ever learn to quilt? Starting watching Alex and Simply Quilts every morning, came on early back then, and then Eleanor Burns
Did you use a straight stitch or zig zag sewing machine to learn to sew? Zig Zag
Were you a child or an adult when you learned to quilt? Adult
Old 10-30-2012, 08:15 PM

My grandmother taught me to sew although I took a home economics class in HS.
I didn't have a machine of my own until I had been married a while.
My first machine was a singer in the 60s and was new. Sadly it was the era of double knit and the machine would skip stitches........very frustrating.
I didn't have a sewing cabinet until the 70s and got a Ethan Allen sewing cabinet and other components that I still use today.
I have loved sewing for the little girls in the family and did that until they mostly grew up and prefered store bought or just plain jeans and t shirts.
I have enjoyed making window coverings for the home and still like the looks of baloon shades.
I took up quilting in the last few years and really like it.
I love sewing machines and keep each one never trade one in. Grandkids and little friends learn to sew on the older ones. I always have at least two set up either to embroider or prefer the stitch on one over the other.
Early on my husband had two requests: We didn't have much money and he asked me to make him a gun case for a rifle. Next he was trying to train his bird dog with a live quail and asked me to make a harness for the quail so it would not run off. LOL
Old 10-31-2012, 04:16 AM

I started sewing about 8-9 I made clothes for my Barbie but I used a needle and thread. My grandmas taughter me how to use a needle and thread and how to make the small stitches. Later I taught sewing in jr. High which was required by than and I loved it and continued through high school. Loved sewing and never stopped. My mom had a kenmore cabinet machine. It was ok but the tension was always difficult and frustrating. I didn't know much about machines and how to care for them. I received my first machine about two years after I was married. My DH bought me a Kenmore and back then it was one with all the bells and whistles. I still use it today, only machine I ever had and love it though it is sooo heavy but works like a charm. I learned how to make quilt tops only this year. I did it watching vedios on you tube. I am slowly learning how to FMQ by watching you tube also plus being part of the QB has give me a priceless source of seasoned quilters to help me along the way. I wouldn't trade you all for anything.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:20 AM

My mother taught me to sew. I was further motivated by membership in 4-H. I am the oldest of 3 girls, and it wasn't always easy to get "sewing time" on the family machine. At one point Mom got a newer Kenmore, her motor from the old machine went to electrify my grandmother's machine, and our original machine went back to being a treadle. It became stationed at the landing in the stairway (it was a small house). My sisters weren't interested in working on a treadle, so that became my "go to" machine when things got busy. That was a tiny sewing room with barely enough space for a chair. Plus there was traffic going up and down the stairs continually.

Dayle