Kept on sewing
Determination & necessity
Case
When I was 12
Self taught
Straight stitch
Adult
Old 10-31-2012, 05:12 AM

I taught myself to sew around the age of 12/13. I come from a family of seamstresses. I love to sew no matter what machine I use but I get very frustrated if my machine does not do what it is suppose to do. My first machine was a Kenmore which I sold just a couple of years ago to a sewing machine store for parts because I had worked the poor motor to death. I have a Kenmore and a Brother now, both not in a cabinet. I hate a machine in a cabinet even though I learned to sew on one.
I made my first quilt by hand- a 9 patch after my son was born (almost 30 years ago). I tend to look at patterns then change them to suit me. I do the same thing with clothes and often don't use a pattern except to look at it and read the directions. I am a quilter who loves to make as many different quilts as I can. I have made 23 since the first of the year (just tops) for my husband's family and one for my aunt and one for a cousin. I have a applique I am making now for my GD's toddler bed. I think I would go crazy if I could not come home from work and sew for a little while each day.
I have to say thank you to the women in my family especially both of my grandmothers who instilled a love of sewing inside me.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:22 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

My mother and grandmother started teaching me how to sew, embroider, cook all that good stuff when I was 6- then our family had family matters-Mom was a single parent so there was no monies for material, much less embroidery thread. SO it was a lost art in our family for quite a while till I had a daughter of my own and decided I need to re-learn how to do these things. So I bought a Kenmore it had only forward, reverse and zig zag, that machine lasted me 20 years and only cost 99.00. Then I bought a Brother Machine and was hooked till it broke down- took it in and the sewing mechanic said it needs a coffin.. So I bought a Pfaff, and relearning a new machine has been a challenge needless to say, but I am again re-learning !LOL I just wish it had the automatic needle threader and a bigger harp- I do have an 8" harp but I guess I need bigger !LOL
For the most part I am a self taught- when I saw I wanted to make something: Library, books and learning from others has been my learning method.
The most frustrating though is when a pattern isn't correct and you are in the middle of the item and you realize its not complete in directions. Been there done that one !LOL
Old 10-31-2012, 05:27 AM

I started sewing at the ripe old age of 9 when I started 4-H. My mother taught me all the basics of sewing on an old Singer straight stitch that had it's own black case. That machine was quite contrary when it came to tension and after I inherited her, I gave her away! That was probably a mistake, but we live and learn. When I got married I was given an Singer touch and sew and had a great time with that making clothes for the kids, but once again, tension issues really turned me against Singer. I've been sewing now for over 40 years and for many, many years stuck to clothing and easy curtains. For some odd reason, I bought a book on quilting and have never looked back. It's been completely self taught as I really know nobody around who quilts. But I am proud to say "Hi, I'm Rose, and I am an addict to quilting".
Old 10-31-2012, 06:55 AM

my grandmother taught me to sew-small things bags etc-joined 4-H took sewing there & thru school
if sew was available i took the class
made clothes back then-
my machine had no back stitch it was a treadle machine- used it for 15 years never had electric @ home.
i enjoyed sew pretty things i could create
the machine was kept in grandmother bed room used it there.
I taught myself to quilt from TV shows
My machine only had straight stitch and no back stitch
I was 41 when i started quilting
I find I enjoy quilting better than sewing clothes-
I made all my homecoming gowns-prom gowns-Wedding dress
Quilting is much more fun
Old 10-31-2012, 08:23 AM

Smile Who What Where When How

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Who taught you to sew? Mother & Grandmother
What frustrated you the most about your sewing machine? Nothing!
What would make it easier to learn to sew? If I had to give an answer, it would be sewing along side someone.
What did you do to conquer the sewing machine? I just read the manual!
What kept you going? My bad habit of wanting to finish things and get the worse ones out of the way!
Where did you keep your sewing machine? Case or Cabinet? Case and closet
When did you conquer the sewing machine? At the early age of 12. By that time, I was sewing my own clothes!
How did you ever learn to quilt? Had a BFF that quilted and wanted to learn
Did you use a straight stitch or zig zag sewing machine to learn to sew? Straight Stitch
Were you a child or an adult when you learned to quilt?
I was an adult
Old 10-31-2012, 08:23 AM

My mother gave me my first experience, lasted long enough for me to puncture my fingernail. then was mandatory Home Ec in Jr. Hg. had zero interest until one year ago.
My most frustrating thing about my machine..i seem to have a glob of thread on the back if I don't use a leader.
Easier to learn: if I took more time to get some "hands on learning"
Conquer sewing:and Trial and error
Kept me going: was not going to be defeated!
Case
Conquering?? Not there yet, when I master FM...
I learned to quilt one year ago thru a mission "StitchinMission" Still learning...
This machine has taught me more than any other, or bothered to retain. and it has many stitches, really have not utilized but 2 or 3.
Adult, too busy being a tomboy as a child.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:37 AM

I learned to sew on a Singer treadle which my dad traded a shotgun for in 1917. I still have it. I made clothes for 4-H and took home ec in Jr. High. I taught myself to quilt in the 1980's and then took quilt classes. Upgraded to a Singer 401A in 1958, Viking in 1990's. Tension adjustments scare me; I don't do much to them. I also have a FW I inherited. I sew coll clothes for cousins, made matching Victorian night gowns for 3 gd's and their dolls. I have sewn everything from awnings to covering sofas, suits for my husband and suits for me; worked on my dd's wedding dress and made all her evening dresses from Junior High through college. I also taught 2 gs's to sew. Sewing/quilting has been a big part of my life. I have lost count of how many quilts I have made. (I wish I had kept a log from day 1; I might be really surprised to know just how many I have made. I was fortunate to take classes from nationally known teachers so that made quilting a joy.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:15 AM

My mom taught me to sew at the age of 12 actually my Birthday is in June and that summer she taught me. We selected the pattern and fabric from the fabric store and then I learned how to pin the pattern pieces and cut the pattern out. Next she drew lines on paper and I had to learn to sew on the line once I accomplished that I had to measure and mark a line 5/8" in on all of my cut fabric pieces then pin and sew as directed. I made a jump suit and loved it she told me the top of my zipper didn't match, so what I thought. Then she told me if I wanted clothes for school I had to sew them. I was introduced to her stash and told I could select a pattern with her approval from the store and to get busy fall and school were not far away. I enjoyed creating my clothes and continued to sew. My Senior year at school I took Art Studio which we contracted with the teacher to do a certain number of projects. Both of my grandmothers quilted so I had an idea of the process and I used scraps from all of my garment projects to create a quilt using 5" squares. My art teacher was so impressed with my quilt and wanted to share with the home ec. teacher well she wasn't all that impressed because my seam allowances were to narrow about 1/4". I learned to sew on the dinning room table and had to clear up for every meal. I decided that I would have a sewing room some day where I could create to my hearts content and have a wonderful stash full of fabrics and ribbons and anything else I might use in my projects. I first started out with a desk in the corner of my bedroom and now I have a full room that is dedicated to my sewing. I still do garments but have expanded and learned a lot more about quilting. My mother is gone but I have taught my gran-daughters to sew and one has made 2 quilts.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:02 AM

Who taught you to sew?
I taught myself to sew at about age 9. My mom taught me to do embroidery, cutwork and pulled work.

What frustrated you the most about your sewing machine?
Nothing. My mom never knew how to use the machine a neighbor gave us. I figured it out & was the one who did most of the sewing.

What would make it easier to learn to sew?
It would have been nice to have had someone who knew the different ways to make garments...I am self taught.

What did you do to conquer the sewing machine?
It was actually easy for me. Newer machines, I read the instruction manual and keep it close at hand.

What kept you going?
Necessity

Where did you keep your sewing machine? Case or Cabinet?
The first was in a case, and we set it up on the table. I now have several machines in a designated area...they are always out and ready to use.

When did you conquer the sewing machine?
At about age 9-10.

How did you ever learn to quilt?
Again, self taught. I did take a class on quiltmaking from start to finish, covered everything..design, color, etc...all the way to binding & attaching a hanging sleeve.

Did you use a straight stitch or zig zag sewing machine to learn to sew?
ZigZag...Montgomery Ward brand

Were you a child or an adult when you learned to quilt?
Well, I was married & expecting our first child...age 16.
One thing about the last question...Some don't take into consideration those of us who grew up in a very poor enviroment...circumstances were/are different for those with limited means...I am blessed in the fact that my hubby has worked full time since age 15, and was 18 when we married (I was barely 16)...we grew up poor, started out poor...but we are stronger for it...that first machine was a dream come true.

Now, I don't have to sew/quilt...it's more a hobby business for me...and I use the proceeds to buy more gadgets/machines