Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Whole Cloth Quilt >

Whole Cloth Quilt

Whole Cloth Quilt

Old 09-21-2016, 06:20 AM

You might enjoy channel trapunto. Any line drawing especially applique can be used. In color which shows better in a picture or white. You can also just double all the lines in the whole cloth and pull through the cording.
Attached Thumbnails img_0975.jpg  
Old 09-21-2016, 12:50 PM

Years ago I did a whole cloth quilt for my gd for a wedding gift. It was beautiful when finished and the blue lines washed out just beautifully.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:48 PM

Thank you for all of your wonderful advice. I went to http://www.christianlanequilters.com...age/590515.htm and I ordered the queen size welsh design in white with a white backing, wool batting and they will baste it for me. I have a quilt frame but I haven't hand quilted in years because I had an arthritis flare up in my hands. I'm just praying that my hands stay healthy while I am quilting. I have magnetic gloves that I wear for support and that usually helps. I am definitely interested in the machine quilting for a whole cloth quilt. I have taken 2 classes from Craftsy and I loved both of them. This would be something new for me.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:58 PM

Another "class" you might want to consider is Lisa Calle's "Mastering the Mini - Wholecloth, That Is".
It's one of her DVD's, and she walks you through the steps to come up with your own design.
My longarm group (SC Longarm Quilters) had a wholecloth challenge last year, and I used Lisa's techniques to design and quilt mine.
Once I figured out the designing part, I just needed inspiration. In my case, it was Cosmatesque architecture.
Good luck, whichever way you decide to go.

Also, if you like the look of trapunto, but not the hassle, use double-batting. The pic below has 100% and 80/20 poly/cotton. When you do the "fill", it will make the rest of the quilting POP and look like trapunto.

Here's a partial pic:
Attached Thumbnails wholecloth-close-up-compressed.jpg  

Last edited by letawellman; 09-22-2016 at 06:13 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:28 AM

Leta, that is gorgeous! When I think of the type of whole cloth quilt that I would like to make, this is it. There is an elegant beauty about it that is unlike any other quilt.