Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Whole Cloth Quilt ....

I have some fabric that I just can't bring myself to cut up for a baby quilt BUT I can use it to make a whole cloth quilt :-)

My question is .... what would be the best way to machine quilt this??

Should I put a border around the edge and then do my decorative stitching????

Any advice would be GREAT and MUCH appreciated!!!

Blog Entries
    In my opinion whole cloth quilts show off the beautiful stitches and stitch designs and unless it's not the size you need it to be, a border is not necessary. Please post a pic when you are done, I just love whole cloth quilts!

I would not put a border unless you just like the look. Here is a good link on how to mark your quilt:

http://www.hgtv.com/video/welsh-whol...deo/index.html

We would love to see pictures.

I would lie to see the fabric first. Whole cloth quilts show great the decorative stitches, if the fabric is of a solid color or close to a solid. If the reason you don't want to cut it is because of the print, you may be able to follow the design printed to do the quilting, but need to add a border to give it the look of finished. Solid whole cloths don't need a border. Can we see the fabric first, Please?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grammyp
    I would not put a border unless you just like the look. Here is a good link on how to mark your quilt:

http://www.hgtv.com/video/welsh-whol...deo/index.html

We would love to see pictures.
    I can't get the video to work - is there a knack?

Blog Entries
    Is it like a panel? And you are wanting to stitch parts of the features? If so, add your borders and then do your stitching/quilting on it after you sandwich it. Then it will be quilted at the same time. :D:D:D

If you are wanting to just thread paint it, then I would do the panel, and then square it up and add your borders and quilt it :D:D:D

Quote Originally Posted by Maride
    I would lie to see the fabric first. Whole cloth quilts show great the decorative stitches, if the fabric is of a solid color or close to a solid. If the reason you don't want to cut it is because of the print, you may be able to follow the design printed to do the quilting, but need to add a border to give it the look of finished. Solid whole cloths don't need a border. Can we see the fabric first, Please?
    The fabric has ladybugs and swirls which appear to look almost snake like and those are two of our favorite animals :-)

I am considering doing a swirling pattern in circles to compliment the fabric.

close up of fabric
    Name:  Attachment-118278.jpe
Views: 179
Size:  57.4 KB

Blog Entries
    That would be very cute!

Swirls would be nice. Or outlinining those ladybugs then carry o with more swirls. Binding in tht gorgeous blue would finish it nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by cosyquilter
    Swirls would be nice. Or outlinining those ladybugs then carry o with more swirls. Binding in tht gorgeous blue would finish it nicely.
    My sisters tell me I am weird because I like things that are backed and bound in black lol :-)

I thought about doing criss-cross straight stitches but I am not sure ....

I did a whole cloth Thomas the Train quilt for DS last year, mainly b/c he was being impatient (he was 2) so I knew he wouldn't care. I just quilted little clouds throughout the whole thing. It was my first (and only) attempt at FMQ and it turned out OK. It's held up through a few washes so that's a good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by geckogirl
    Quote Originally Posted by cosyquilter
    My sisters tell me I am weird because I like things that are backed and bound in black lol :-)

I thought about doing criss-cross straight stitches but I am not sure ....
    Great to know I am not alone. I don't mind the back, but I always want my bindings black. Sometimes have to resist and make me use another color, but always use a darker shade of whatever color I pick.

I think it would be great with a nice meander. Blue would be pretty for the binding.

UPDATE :::::: The machine quilting is going FANTATSIC!!! My DH is even being supportive and encouraging :-) My middle diamond is kinda wonky so I need to redo that but other than that, if my lines are not perfectly straight, I am very happy with it!!

Once I get the binding on I will be sure to post pictures!!