Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Whole Cloth - the real thing! >

Whole Cloth - the real thing!

Whole Cloth - the real thing!

Old 08-11-2018, 06:09 AM

This is going to be stunning xx
Old 08-11-2018, 07:16 AM

Kudos for spreading your wings and moving into such a beautiful art form. I can't wait to see the finished quilt.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:31 AM

I think your design looks good so far. I hope you have tried the red marker before and it will come out. :-/. Just remember whole cloth quilts are quilted very densely. I am looking forward to seeing your post when you have finished quilting it.

Edit: I forgot to ask.....are you using two layers of batting to give the unquilted areas (feathers) “poof”? A wool batting on the top layer works so well to do this.

Last edited by Ellen 1; 08-11-2018 at 07:35 AM.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:41 AM

Oh, Marion I so look forward to following your post/progress. Your "practice" pieces were gorgeous so I can't imagine anything but a beautiful outcome on this quilt.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:53 AM
Power Poster

That is going to be stunning! I would be too chicken to try it. Kudos to you my friend.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
This will be spectacular!

TBH ... I don't think you need idea/suggestions! You are pretty incredible with them, on your own.

Another weekend's project?
If I get this done in a weekend, I need a life LOL
Old 08-11-2018, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I agree with QuiltE! The on point crosshatch will be the perfect fill for all those feathers. Labor intensive but worth it. They make painters tape in 1/2" so you won't have to tediously mark them out. And stop them about 1/4 from the feather motifs and stitch over to your new c/h line, they will form a lovely echo around both the border and the center medallion. This is what they did in the pinterest pic you linked and you can see how much it emphasizes the overall design. Looking forward to following your progress on this.
Thank you! Saves on a ton of marking! I will pick that up when it's time to do the lines! I always love your suggestions - they are so helpful!
Old 08-11-2018, 11:30 AM

That is going to be an awesome whole cloth quilt.

Originally Posted by Ellen 1 View Post
I think your design looks good so far. I hope you have tried the red marker before and it will come out. :-/. Just remember whole cloth quilts are quilted very densely. I am looking forward to seeing your post when you have finished quilting it.

Edit: I forgot to ask.....are you using two layers of batting to give the unquilted areas (feathers) “poof”? A wool batting on the top layer works so well to do this.
Ellen ... so the funny thing about the markers? The first time I did the design on the muslin the stencils didn't line up hahaha ... I had done the little middle circle but the bigger one didn't work at all! So I tossed it in the machine and then the dryer and the markers came out no problems.

I've been using crayola kids washable markers (thanks Ube!), and they have been awesome!

I hadn't thought of using two layers of batting, I'll give it a test run and see what I think - thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks everyone for the wonderful comments and encouragement, I'm having lots of fun with FMQ now that I've finally figured it out!