Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why am I having a hard time letting it go? >

Why am I having a hard time letting it go?

Why am I having a hard time letting it go?

Old 03-02-2010, 03:31 PM

Will your mom think you did a good job on it? Sometimes we are worried that our work might not be good enough. And in reality, the parent really loves it. /that happen to me with a oil painting I did for my mom, But I went ahad and gave it to her,and she hung the painting in a place that I thought was not where I would hang it, a few years later she said she always liked that picture where she could look at it while she did dishes....funny
Old 03-02-2010, 04:37 PM

You made a gorgeous quilt. If I had made it I would feel the same. The last one I made I left it out to look at for quite awhile before I sent it off. At least you have visiting previleges! :-D
Old 03-02-2010, 04:41 PM

A good part of you is in that quilt, it sure seems likely it is hard for you. Beautiful!
Old 03-02-2010, 05:39 PM
bkb

Thank God you still have your Mother! She worked many years raising you, she will treasure your creation and if you think its hard to part with a quilt...wait until the the kids leave home!
Old 03-02-2010, 06:00 PM

I know what you mean. Sometimes it's like giving away part of yourself. I get sentimental about my quilts, too. I spend a lot of time and effort on them to get them just right.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:06 PM
bkb

I sounded harsh earlier, I am sorry. My mom died 2 years ago and I wish she was here now. She would just love looking at your pretty quilt and all the others. You aren't really giving it away...she will keep it for you, let her "borrow" it fora while.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:13 PM

That is a lovely presentation, am sure it will mean alot to your Mom.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:14 PM

DH had a hard time with one of my last ones. I made a Bento Box for my cousin's daughter. It was a wedding gift. DH wanted to keep the quilt and buy the couple a toaster instead. He still misses it. Guess I should make another for him so he will stop whining. :lol:
Old 03-02-2010, 06:19 PM

Yeap, every now and then I feel like I have to have the quilts I've made for someone just pulled away from me, as I don't want to let go!

The airplane quilt I made for my DGS Hunter was one, and then the argyle one I just did for my DDIL was another... Well ALL of them actually! lol!!!

For me, I think it's a combination of the amount of time I've put into them, and that they turned out so well (in my opinion anyways) I totally impressed myself, and didn't get enough time to really just gaze at them before they left! :)

Wills' Grammy, I'm so sorry for your loss. Warm hugs to you.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:42 PM

I can so relate to your feelings. I have worked for a year and a half on a quilt for my son and his wife. It is now finished and it is going to be very hard for me to let go of it. I picked out the colors for them, the prints on the fabric, everything with them in mind, and I REALLY want them to have it, but it does feel like a part of me. I designed it and layed awake many nights trying to figure out the next section, everytime I look at it I am kind of amazed that "I did that"!