Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do the binding by hand? >

Why do the binding by hand?

Why do the binding by hand?

Old 05-02-2011, 07:48 AM

I do all machine stitching! Does a great job!
Old 05-02-2011, 07:49 AM
lbc

I personally enjoy doing the binding by hand and I feel it looks nicer, but again just a personal opinion.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:49 AM

I do both, but if it's for a good quilt, I always do it by hand. For me, I can make the corners better by hand and I just prefer the way it looks.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by sewingsuz
I can't understand why it is so important to flip the binding to the back side and sew by hand with the blind stitch? We have these nice machines and why not put the binding on back and flip to front and sew on machine. You could even use the blanket stictch. Before I start this binding today I would like to make a decision on this. Years ago when I made a few quilts and took a class at the college, we sewed it on by machine. Why not now? Thanks for input. Suzanne
You can attach a binding any way you wish. Quilting and approaches to it are as individual and unique as the number of quilters quilting. What works for one may or may not work for another. Quilting, in my opinion, is whatever works the best for you that will enable you to complete a beautiful quilt. The are only rules for quilting when you want to enter a quilt into a juried show where you then do need to know the guide lines but for personal use, gifts, and pleasure - anything goes. Make it fun and do your own thing. I do and love quilting.
Hugs
Patty
Old 05-02-2011, 08:00 AM

I do enjoy hand stitching, so if I'm in the mood, I do it that way. Most of the time I machine stitch to back, pull to front & finish with a decorative stitch. I like this look--especially if I have used dec. stitches on the rest of the quilt--and it is much faster. So far, the only quilts I have made have been photo quilts for g-kids graduations and I'm operating under time constraints!
Old 05-02-2011, 08:15 AM

If you are sewing your quilt for yourself it's a personal decision. If you are sewing it to show in a quilt show - only sew by hand and hide your stitches.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:34 AM

I stitch to the front and flip to the back and hand stitch. This is one of my favorite parts in making a quilt. I can watch TV and my kitty curls up in the quilt while I'm doing it. This is also the final step to finishing the quilt and after I finish, I just hold it and enjoy it for awhile.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:54 AM

I love the look of machine binding. I stitch to the back, flip over and run a tiny seam along the edge of the binding. I don't anticipate I will ever do a hand-binding again. Took a little practice tho!
Old 05-02-2011, 09:03 AM

I prefer to hand-do my binding so that it does not show thru to the back with an odd stitch that is not part of the design.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:07 AM

I really enjoy stitching the binding by hand. It is so relaxing for me.